Jeff distracts Pierce while the Dean, Annie, and Britta attempt to land a "whale" of a new student (Zack Pearlman). Shirley and Troy take Physical Education Education taught by Coach Chapman (Ian Roberts). Abed forms a fraternity.
The Community episode "Economics of Marine Biology" provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Pierce says he never understood golf and only joined country clubs to hit on the waitresses.
- Baby Talk: Britta's attempt at it is off putting to say the least.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Less borrowed from Magnitude, more outright stolen.
- Brick Joke: Troy's preference for Let's over Splingles returns in The Tag.
- Call Back:
- Dean Bitterman: The Delta Cubes' antics push the Dean toward this.
Mark my words, Delta Cubes! You'll pay for this!
- Fun with Acronyms: Physical Education Education
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Dr. Wordsmith must have had his medical license revoked, as he's now been reduced to teaching P.E.E.
- Hookers and Blow: Suggested by the school board to convince "The Whale" to come to Greendale.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: Jeff defends Pierce.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: After it's made clear to Archie that he's only getting the special treatment to get him into the school, and it'll stop if he becomes a student, he admits that he's actually sick of people giving him whatever he wants because of his dad's money & just wants to try being a normal student.
- Insistent Terminology: Do not use the term "gym teacher" within earshot of Coach Chapman.
- Money to Burn: Archie and Pierce.
- My God, What Have I Done?
- A Party Also Known as an Orgy: The Dean throws one.
- Picked Last: Shirley used to be in school. Also, Troy.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Combination of Annie and the Dean. Jeff groans.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: What defines Archie as a "whale".
- Room Full of Crazy: Well, blackboard, but Magnitude resorts to this when he tries to pick out his new Catch Phrase.
- Script Wank:
I think we all learned today, that all human beings deserve dignity.
- Serious Business: Coach Chapman takes Physical Education very seriously.
- Ship Tease: Annie uses the "Disney face" to convince Jeff to spend the day with Pierce as an effort to get Pierce out of their way.
- Stuffed into a Locker: Troy is "mock locked in a mock locker."
- Toilet Humor: Pierce reminisces about his childhood dog, who would follow him to school and "[drop] a steaming fat one on the lawn."
- Training Montage: Shirley teaches Troy to teach Kevin, complete with inspiring music.
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinx: Abed's Delta Cube fraternity.
- Wine Is Classy: Wine is served at the Italian barber shop.