The study group is back from winter break and all Jeff wants to do is hangout and relax. This is a problem when another student tries to enter the study group and upsets the current group dynamic. At the same time the Dean is trying to improve the school's newspaper, and ropes Jeff into running it.
Has a YMMV page.
The Community episode "Investigative Journalism" provides examples of:
- Acrofatic: When discussing what he'd bring to the group, Buddy says they need a chubby, agile guy. Then he demonstrates his high kick and accidentally hits Jeff in the nose.
- Big "NO!": Jack Black as Buddy lets out a long one when Jeff drags him kicking and screaming out of the study room.
- The Cameo: Owen Wilson at the end.
- Call Back: Pierce sings the Britta song he cowrote with Vaughn when he interviews for the rival group in the tag. Also Troy and Abed do the Spanish rap
- Cringe Comedy: Jack Black's usual antics lend this to his scenes.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Parodied, as the first Spanish class of the new semester features a memorial for Seņor Chang and a new teacher explaining he had an unfortunate moped accident during the break. Seņor Chang then enters the room, dismisses the teacher, saying she was a professional actress to teach the class that "[he] can never die".
- Failed Attempt at Drama
Annie to the Dean: The people want the truth. I have to give it to them and I won't let anyone get in my way. (beat) Excuse me. (Dean gets out of the way)
- Fanservice: Annie and Britta wrestling while covered in soap suds and wearing cheerleader outfits.
Buddy: That last one might have been a dream. I sleep in class a lot.
- Going for the Big Scoop: Reporter Annie Edison after her Editor tells her to back off the story or risk academic trouble.
- Her Code Name Was Mary Sue: Buddy in-universe, but the show is so meta, it's hard to tell how obnoxious he is in the show's universe.
- Lampshade Hanging: Jack Black's character, Buddy, tries to come up with ideas for the study group to use. One of his ideas actually lampshades lampshade hanging itself:
Buddy: I was thinking as a group we could start saying 'you go girl', not in a way like 'I'm so cool' saying 'you go girl' but in a way where we are kind of winking at it?
- Production Throwback: Jack Black plays a character named "Buddy Austen", who shares a last name with Jack Austen, the main character in the TV pilot Heat Vision And Jack (created by Dan Harmon) also played by Jack Black. Also, Owen Wilson, who voiced Heat Vision, makes a cameo appearance in this episode.
- Reality Subtext: Jack Black's plotline.
- Remember the New Guy: Jack Black as Buddy. Apparently he's been in the Spanish class all of last semester. Lampshaded in that none of the main characters remember him.
- Self-Serving Memory: Buddy reminiscing about Britta and Annie fighting in cheerleader's outfits without bras on. Shortly after, they fall into a kiddie pool full of bubbles.
- He does admit that he sleeps in class a lot, and that that memory may actually have been a dream.
- Shoo Out The New Guy: In-universe; despite having apparently shared a class with him all of the previous semester, the study group have no idea who he is and are pretty weirded out by him.
- Similar Squad: Played with. As it turns out, the Spanish 101 Group was the second study group Buddy was applying to be in. The other group leader implies Buddy doesn't have to apologize for making it into "the better group". Later episodes have yet to show these students as anywhere near as influential or popular as the Spanish/Anthro group (for obvious real-life reasons).
- Shout Out: Quite a few for M*A*S*H.
- Special Guest: Parodied with Jack Black wanting to join the study group after coming back from the mid-season break.
- Story Breaker Team Up