Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 2 E 2 Some Assembly Required
"People don't fall in love with what's right in front of them. People want the dream. What they can't have. The more unattainable, the more attractive."
Two mad science students are trying to make a "perfect girlfriend" for one's Frankenstein's Monster of a brother, a old boyfriend of Cordelia's, by assembling body parts of recently-dead girls.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders
- Artistic License - Biology: "Some Assembly Required'' would have been a lot easier to swallow had there been a mention of the guys using magic to augment their biology work, but there wasn't anything said about it. First, it's highly unlikely that all three dead cheerleaders would have had the same blood type and been compatible enough for their parts to be grafted together. Second, there's no way any of their cells would have still been living by the time the bodies were recovered and used. (ditto with the dead football player who was brought back). Third, no one seems to recall that heads can't be transplanted without severing the spinal cord and resulting in complete paralysis. It's hard to imagine that's what the re-animated dead kid had in mind when he wanted a girl built for him.
- Buffy Speak: It can even be used for dating!
Buffy: You might wanna avoid words like 'amenable' and 'indecorous', y'know. Speak English, not whatever they speak in, um...
You just say, 'Hey, I got a thing, you maybe have a thing, maybe we could 'have a thing
- Came Back Wrong
- Call Back: To the movie with Buffy catching a thrown knife.
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*
Cordelia: Why are these terrible things always happening to me?
Xander: *cough* Karma! *cough*
- Creepy Basement
- Failed Attempt at Drama
Buffy: It takes more than that to get rid of me! (falls in open grave)
- False Reassurance
Eric: You're gonna feel a little pinch, maybe some discomfort around the neck area. But don't worry. When you wake up, you'll have the body of a seventeen-year-old. In fact, you'll have the body of several.
- Good Is Not Soft: Buffy's intolerance for those with a soul doing the wrong thing is first addressed in this episode, believing Chris does not get any benefit of the doubt.
He's just a ghoul.
- Grave Robbing
- Green-Eyed Monster: Buffy and Angel.
- Holding Hands: Buffy and Angel at the end.
- Hypocritical Humor: The girls watching the guys do all the hard work digging up a grave.
Buffy: Sorry, but I'm an old-fashioned gal. I was raised to believe that men dig up the corpses and the women have the babies.
- Imaginary Love Triangle: Angel worries that Xander is a possible love rival, as he can spend more time with her during the day.
- Love Makes You Crazy and do wacky things like bring your brother back to life, or do the "sexy dance" with your best friend.
- Mad Doctor
- Mirror Scare
- Mix-and-Match Man
- Never Live It Down (In-Universe): Willow predicts this about Buffy's "sexy dance" with Xander in the previous episode
- Nightmare Fetishist: Giles again.
Giles: Grave robbing? That's new. Interesting.
Buffy: I know you meant to say gross and disturbing.
Giles: Yes, yes, yes of course. Uh, terrible thing. Must, must put a stop to it. Damn it.
- Operation Jealousy: Buffy admits this was the reason for her "sexy dance" with Xander.
- Porn Stash: The size of Eric's scares even Xander.
- Rescue Romance: Spoofed when Xander blows his chance to score with Cordelia without even realising it.
- Rugby Is Slaughter: Giles is unimpressed by American football - why does a nation priding itself on virility feel the need to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just to play rugby?
- Security Cling: Cordelia to Angel. Buffy is not pleased.
- Self-Disposing Villain
- Screaming Woman: Cordelia of course.
- Shout-Out: To Frankenstein
- Star-Crossed Lovers: The appeal of forbidden love is lampshaded by Xander. Buffy and Angel of course put it into practice.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Angel startles Buffy.
Buffy: Are you crazy?
You don't just sneak up on people in a graveyard. You make noise when you walk. You stomp or... yodel.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Cordelia
- Surrogate Soliloquy / Emotionally Tongue Tied: Giles rehearsing asking Ms. Calender out for a date.
Giles: W-w-w-what I'm proposing is, um... and I-I don't mean to appear indecorous, is, is, um, a, a-a-a social engagement, um, a, a, a, a-a date, if you're amenable. (to himself) You idiot!
Buffy: Boy, I guess we never realized how much you liked that chair.
- Teen Genius: Surgically assembling a human body would require advanced medical knowledge well beyond a high school student, and given all the scientific hurdles Chris would have had to overcome (see Artistic License - Biology, his intellect has to be even higher than that.
- Unwanted Revival
- Would Hit a Girl: Daryl socks Buffy in the face.