- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: According to Blackadder, Oscar Wilde was world heavyweight boxing champion, father of 114 illegitimate children and the author of the best-selling book ''"Why I like to do it with Girls".
- Comically Missing the Point: Melchett does this after finding out Blackadder shot his pigeon.
Darling: I've suspected this for some time, sir. Clearly Captain Blackadder has been disobeying orders with a breath taking impertinence!Melchett: I don't care if he's been rogering the Duke of York with a prize-winning leek! He shot my pigeon!
- Disproportionate Retribution:
- Melchett's willingness to have Blackadder shot for killing his pet seems a bit over the top.
- Blackadder gets back at George and Baldrick for getting so drunk they forgot to send the telegram that would get him off the hook by volunteering them for a Suicide Mission into No-Man's Land.
- Easily Forgiven: No mention is made of Speckled Jim or the shooting incident again,and by the next episode, Blackadder and Melchett are back on friendly speaking terms.
- Exact Words: "We didn't get any messages and Captain Blackadder definitely didn't shoot this delicious, plump breasted pigeon!"
- For the Evulz: Darling acting as prosecutor at Blackadder's court-martial seems to have been purely for this.
- Hanging Judge: Melchett at the trial.
- Kangaroo Court: Everybody involved in the trial has a personal stake in the case, and don't even try to hide it.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Operation: Certain Death".
- Punch Clock Villain: The firing squad. They see their job as an unpleasant necessity.
- Tempting Fate: There's plenty of these:
Blackadder: Come on, George. With fifty thousand men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?!
Blackadder: Any reasonable judge is bound to let me off.Darling: (grinning smugly) Well, obviously.Blackadder: Who is the judge?Melchett: (from outside) BAAAAAA!Blackadder: [deadpan] I'm dead.
- And then later:
Recap / Blackadder S 4 E 2 Corporal Punishment
While trying to get out of another suicidal advance, Blackadder shoots a carrier pigeon moments after doing so is made a court-martial offence. To make matters worse, the pigeon in question was a favourite pet of General Melchett. Now Blackadder and co must find a way to get him out of facing a firing squad.