"I'll save you from the pirates."
The gang stops in a village for supplies, although they are running dangerously low on money. However, while shopping, they come across interesting merchandise sold by rather questionable pirates- er, I mean, 'high risk traders'. Among their wares is an expensive water bending scroll, which Katara steals to help both herself and Aang learn water bending. To her annoyance, it seems Aang quickly surpasses her in the skill, and her jealousy begins to take control. Meanwhile, Iroh goes shopping for his missing Pai Sho piece, and Zuko catches wind that the pirates are after a familiar sounding trio, and so they join forces.
- Big Damn Heroes: Appa!
- Breather Episode: A plot-significant episode which provides a break from the previous two-parter, especially with the darker "Jet" to follow.
- Chase Scene
- Chekhov's Gun/Chekhov's Boomerang: Aang's bison whistle.
- Chekhov's Gunman: This won't be the last we see of these pirates...
- Foreshadowing: Iroh's Pai Sho piece. The lotus tile is actually a part of his secret code to contacting The Order of the White Lotus, of which he is a grand master.
- Fruit Cart: The Cabbage Merchant and his cabbages.
- Ice-Cream Koan: lampshaded
General Iroh: Are you so busy fighting, you cannot see your own ship has set sail?!
Prince Zuko: We have no time for your proverbs, uncle!
It's no proverb! (Beat)
Maybe it should be a proverb...
- Funny Background Event: Iroh imitating the weird grin of the monkey statue while Zuko is first talking to the pirates.
- Inevitable Waterfall
- Insistent Terminology: They're not pirates, they're "high risk traders."
- Instant Expert: To Katara's annoyance, Aang masters the water bending very quickly.
- It's All My Fault, Katara says.
Aang: No, Katara, it isn't.
Iroh: Yeah, it kind of is.
- Lint Value: Aang tries to haggle for the waterbending scroll. He offers one copper piece. Then, okay, how about two copper pieces?
- My God, What Have I Done?: After yelling at Aang and seeing him cry, Katara immediately feels bad for what she said and apologizes sincerely. Then she does the same for Momo, who had been whipped earlier by a failed water whip. And the look Sokka gives her after she yells at Aang clearly said "What the heck is wrong with you?!"
- Recurring Extra: The Cabbage Merchant returns. He should've stayed in Omashu.
- Ship Tease: It's widely agreed that this episode is when the concept of "Zutara" really took off.
- Shut Up And Save Me:
Aang: Hey, you did the Water Whip!
Katara: I couldn't have done it without your help!
Sokka: (being restrained by three pirates) Will you two quit congratulating each other and help me out?!
- Spoof Aesop: The lesson is, "stealing is wrong... unless its from pirates!"... which, if nothing else, refreshingly keeps the episode from being Anvilicious.
- Talking Your Way Out: Sokka attempts this. Zuko sees through it instantly — the pirates do not.
- Tempting Fate:
Sokka: Oh, what? I'm not good enough to kidnap?
[Cue to a net being thrown at him and gets dragged away]
- This Is No Time For Flute Practice!