Alice is in danger. Her friend or ally Bob is nearby, but instead of helping her, Bob chooses this moment to go into monologue mode. In some cases, Bob just hasn't noticed that Alice is in trouble; in others, he notices but feels the need to get his two cents in before he saves her. In either case, Bob may be ranting about how he can't turn his back for a minute without Alice being attacked by monsters.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Inverted hilariously in Bleach, Ichigo basically tells Rukia "Shut up and let me save you."
- In Beelzebub, Oga does pretty much the exact same thing.
Films — Animation
- In Monsters, Inc., Sully is being throttled by Randall when Mike shows up. Since Randall is invisible, Mike doesn't notice at first that Sully in trouble, and he keeps talking for a minute or two before he notices that Sully's not being very attentive. And then Mike gets mad and throws a snowball at him, hitting Randall in the face by mistake (showing Sully where Randall's head is).
- A variation in Flushed Away; Rodney plays the part of Big Damn Heroes, but starts by apologising profusely for his earlier behaviour. Rita suggests they talk about this after he's rescued her.
Films — Live Action
- The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn and Eowyn in "The Houses of Healing". Particularly infuriating as he's monologuing about all the additional names he's going to have once he's king. This is Tolkien — names are Serious Business.
- Doctor Who
- The Doctor and Rose in the first episode of the new series, "Rose". The Doctor is being attacked by a plastic hand. Rose continues talking to him while she's in the kitchen, and even when she walks into the room she initially thinks he's mucking about.
- Or there's the time in "The Runaway Bride" when he's listening at a door and talking at Donna and completely fails to notice the fact that she's been kidnapped by mooks for about half a minute. Amusingly, he notices mid-sentence, commenting as he turns around "and you have never been so quiet."
- This exchange in the Firefly episode "War Stories"; Mal is fighting Niska's henchman after being tortured; Jayne prepares to shoot the henchman:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Cordelia comes across Willow locked in a cage in the school library, and instead of letting her out sits down with a cup of coffee and lectures Willow about stealing her boyfriend. Which is actually a good thing because, unknown to her, she's actually talking to Willow's Evil Twin — a psychotic vampire from an alternate dimension. In the spin-off series Angel Cordy is equally clueless when hunting through the sewers after a monster, and failing to notice it's strangling Doyle with a giant tentacle because she's too busy griping about how insensitive Angel is to the needs of his co-workers.
- The trope name comes from the Dominic Deegan strip seen here, where the exact quote is, "Will you shut up and help me?!"
- Early on in The Order of the Stick, when Roy is assaulted by a mind flayer, the other party members just stand there dumbfounded while Vaarsuvius rants furiously that s/he should be the one attacked, having the highest intelligence score.
Roy: A little help here?
- Happens on Avatar: The Last Airbender during a battle with pirates:
Aang: Hey, you did the Water Whip!
Katara: I couldn't have done it without your help!
Sokka: (being restrained by three pirates) Will you two quit congratulating each other and help me out?!
- In Drawn Together, sort of, in Xandir's coming-out episode.
- An episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold has Robin taking advantage of the fact Batman is tied up to a giant loom to rant to him about treating him like a kid. Batman, being Batman, frees himself while Robin gets distracted telling him off.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Rainbow Dash does this whenever she's going to save someone in "The Mysterious Mare Do Well". At one point a hapless tourist pony in a runaway cart interrupts her Catch Phrase and asks politely if she could save them first.
- In Teen Titans, during a fight with Trigon in Raven's mind.
Raven: You stayed? I thought you didn't like me.
Beast Boy: Thought you didn't like me.
Cyborg: Yo, I like both of ya. Now get your butts over here!