: A dark and edgy show has a light-hearted sequel.
- Straight: A work with dark and gritty elements has a softer and kinder sequel made for fans to like it again.
- Exaggerated: The remade show is so over the top with its light-heartedness, it's almost diabetic.
- Downplayed: The show incorporates more comedic elements, yet still retains many dark elements, causing the show to turn into Black Comedy.
- The writers didn't want the darker show scare off its audience, so they made a light-hearted sequel to bring its old fans back.
- The sequel was meant to be a parody of its predecessor.
- The world of the work is getting progressively better than the Crapsack World it was previously, meaning that the characters and plots don't need to be as dark as they were before.
- Inverted: Darker and Edgier
- Subverted: The show appears to have elements of light and softness of a kids' show, but it isn't.
- Double Subverted: But then, it turns out it is.
- Parodied: The show remains the same, but suddenly, the characters act like morons and drink tea.
- Zig Zagged:
- The show has episodes that either have a darker or lighter overtone.
- Mood Whiplash
- Averted: The sequel has the same tone of the previous work.
- Enforced: "We need to make a sequel to this game, but it won't be as dark as the last one."
- Lampshaded: "Hey, this movie doesn't seem so dreary and drab, like the last one."
- Invoked: A test audience watches a movie and some of them complain that the movie needs some humor.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Let's not make the movie too comical or too dramatic."
- Discussed: "I didn't like this older show. It was too emotional and depressing..."
- Conversed: "Oh, man, that guy just fell face-first on a pie! Ha-ha!"
- Deconstructed: The show is not light-hearted enough for the newer audience to forget about the darker predecessor and many old fans actually liked or loved it and bash on the sequel for being so childish.
- Reconstructed: The show manages to appease both the newer audience and the older fans, despite being lighter in tone.
Now, let's go back to Lighter and Softer
and have some cookies and milk!