: A character makes a death threat they are never likely to carry out, and never do.
- Straight: Bob threatens to kill Alice in a heated argument. They're both ordinary people.
- Exaggerated: Bob threatens to kill Alice. He's her five-year-old little brother. She's 16 and studies martial arts. Supernatural Martial Arts with Charles Atlas Superpower, just for good measure.
- Downplayed: Bob threatens to punch Alice. He Would Not Hit A Girl.
- Justified: ???
- Inverted: Bob murders Alice for no identifiable reason and with no warning.
- Subverted: Bob is a Kid Samurai and menaces Alice with his katana.
- Double Subverted: It's wooden. Wooden Katanas Are Even Better does not apply.
- Parodied: Bob is shown working on an elaborate murder plan, while constantly gloating at Alice that her days are numbered. One night, he attacks her with a rubber squeaky hammer or nerf gun while she's asleep.
- Zig Zagged: Bob threatens to kill Alice. She laughs him off. He mentions a way he can get his hands on a katana. She doesn't believe him. He brings it. It's wooden. Wooden Katanas Are Even Better, and it has an Absurdly Sharp Blade. Alice breaks it with a Finger Poke of Doom.
- Bob makes a death threat he can and will back up, and it's that kind of a setting.
- Nobody is killed or threatened with death.
- Enforced: Bob makes a death threat. The show is a sitcom. No Cerebus Syndrome or similar.
- Lampshaded: "Riiiight. That makes the tenth time?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob is holding a functional and dangerous weapon when he makes the threat.
- Discussed: "Bob said he'd kill me." "He tells me that every other day."
- Conversed: "Sure. On that network, in that time slot?"
- Deconstructed: Bob gets into legal trouble.
- Reconstructed: Hilarity Sues. Cue the Courtroom Episode.
- Played For Laughs: Bob continuously attacks Alice with Joke Items while screaming for her inevitable demise. Each time, he receives a Megaton Punch for his trouble.
- Played For Drama: Alice becomes paranoid over a death threat Bob made when he was angry and didn't mean anything by it.
Back to Ineffectual Death Threats
, or I'll kill you! *raises rubber squeaky bat*