Playing With: I Have No Son
: A parent disowns his/her child.
- Straight: Shannon disowns her 12-year-old daughter, Sharon for stealing.
- Shannon disowns her new-born daughter Sharon for crying.
- Shannon not only disowns Sharon, but also kills her.
- Downplayed: Shannon disowns Sharon, who's old enough to take care of herself.
- Sharon disowns her mother Shannon for grounding her for breaking curfew.
- Like a Son to Me, where Shannon and Sharon aren't biologically mother and daughter, but their relationship is so close, they treat each other like mother and daughter.
- Subverted: Shannon kicks Sharon out, but a few months later, she grows fond of her presence and decides to let her back in.
- Double Subverted: ...at least until she realizes that Sharon has disgraced her family...AGAIN... and kicks her out of the house with no indication that she misses her at all.
- Shannon disowns Sharon for the crime of eating a cookie in her kitchen as well as dropping some crumbs.
- Sharon is so used to being disowned for minor incidents that she just shrugs it off, knowing it'll be dropped half an hour later.
- Zig Zagged: Shannon has been kicking Sharon out of the house and let her back in when Sharon has been terribly screwing up many times.
- Averted: Shannon doesn't disown Sharon.
- Enforced: "The mother-daughter relationship is so dysfunctional. Let's have Shannon kick Sharon out of the house to end the heartache."
- Shannon tries to make Sharon get into trouble in order to disown her.
- Sharon wants to be homeless (for some reason) and misbehaves in the hope of being disowned.
- Exploited: See "Invoked" except that Shannon wants to have the time for herself and not to be surrounded by a child.
- Shannon refuses to disown Sharon and loves her no matter what.
- Sharon's father talks Shannon out of kicking Sharon out.
- Discussed: "Disowning a child? And to think parents love their children."
- Conversed: "Shannon disowning Sharon was one episode I'd never forget."
- Played For Laughs:
- Shannon disowns Sharon for the most ridiculous reasons in every episode, so much that it becomes her catchphrase.
- Shannon loudly declares: "I Have No Son!" Then clarifies: "I only have a daughter."
- Played For Drama:
- After being called out by practically everyone, Shannon realized what she has done, and searches for her daughter to apologize. But in the meantime, Sharon grew bitter and becomes resentful towards her former mother, and seeks revenge. When the two finally met, the result was powder keg waiting to happen.
- They are both executed: Shannon for kicking her daughter out, and Sharon for disobeying her mother.
Back to I Have No Son