: Enemies team up to fight against a bigger threat.
- Straight: Arch Enemies Hiro and Nego form an alliance to battle Black Hole.
- Exaggerated: Hiro is ultimately good and Nego is irrevocably evil. Together, they form an official team to fight against the even more irrevocably evil Eldritch Abomination Black Hole, promising to put aside all animosity for next few years in order to achieve one goal.
- The Nice Guy and Jerkass team up to win a contest against a shared rival.
- Although they don't hate each other, Hiro and Nego have a small dislike for each other. They temporarily team up to battle Black Hole to save the world.
- Nego wants to take over the world, but Black Hole wants to destroy it, so teaming up with Hiro is the option to save it.
- Nego knows that Black Hole is capable of killing anyone in his way, and he only teams with Hiro because he can't let Black Hole kill him.
- Even Evil Has Standards
- Nego has a personal hatred of Black Hole because he finds him so annoying.
- Black Hole is just that dangerous, and neither Hiro nor Nego particularly feels like being killed by him, so they'll take any help they can get, even each other's.
- Inverted: We Are Struggling Together
- Nego unexpectely betrays Hiro and sides with Black Hole...
- Hiro and Nego become friends after defeating Black Hole.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Hiro and Nego are out shopping for Christmas presents and team-up in order to fight back the crowds on Christmas Eve.
- Zig Zagged: Hiro and Nego refuse to team-up against Black Hole, but both are quickly defeated in seperate fights, so they decide to work together. Despite promising to work together, they can't even get along enough to work out a plan and are beaten again by Black Hole. Finally, they decide the fate of the world is too important and come up with a decent plan, but as Hiro is striking the final blow againstBlack Hole, Nego tries to literally stab him in the back. Hiro knew he would do this and had already set a plan into motion to take out both villains.
- Averted: Hiro and Nego never consider forming an alliance.
- Enforced: "Let's show the audience that even enemies can be good teammates."
Black Hole: "Well, what's this? I thought you two were enemies."
Hiro and Nego: "We've decided we both hate you more!"
- Invoked: Black Hole admits that the only way he can be defeated is if Nego and Hiro team up.
- Exploited: Nego knows Hiro would be willing to team up in order to defeat Black Hole and counts on it as part of a Xanatos Gambit.
- Defied: "Team up with you, Hiro? That's just as bad as you beating me."
- Discussed: Some of Hiro's teammates discuss the pros and cons of teaming up with Nego.
- Conversed: "Hiro and Nego team up? How will they co-exist?"
- Implied: Black Hole is defeated off-panel, with Hiro making a passing reference to Nego's assistance.
- Deconstructed: Hiro and Nego try to team up but they are still very different people with very different outlooks, so they can not agree on a proper plan.
- But as it turns out, they wanted to appear to have trouble with in-fighting so that Black Hole would become overly confident, allowing them to take him by surprise.
- Alternatively, their different outlooks are the key to making their teamwork effective, as each provides ideas the other never would have thought of, and the other builds off them in ways the first never would have.
- Played For Laughs: Hiro and Nego team up and at one point, are placed in an awkward position, fueling Ho Yay and Foe Yay at the same time.
- Played For Drama: Nego and Hiro team up and quickly learn they are Not So Different.
Back to Enemy Mine