: Children are used as soldiers.
- Straight: For whatever reason, children are recruited to serve in armed forces.
- Exaggerated: Kindergarteners are trained in combat.
- A couple of soldiers are younger than one would expect.
- Teenagers serve regularly in civil defense, or are allowed in a specialized military training course before they are old enough to be assigned to combat units.
- During an exercise the army, knowing that any battlefield will probably have a lot of civilians on it hires teenagers from a nearby town to play the role. All reasonable efforts are taken for their safety. During some exercises, some do roleplay as Child Soldiers. But of course the only weapons they shoot or have shot at them are paintball guns or similar devices.
- The village is razed to the ground and the children who somehow survive band together and fight to seek revenge on the raiders.
- Births are not well documented, enabling children who look old enough to lie about their ages and apply to the army.
- In this culture the age of adulthood is younger
- The city is besieged by the Evil Overlord. Everyone might as well be a soldier as he plans to Kill 'em All anyway.
- Bob was raised by a Camp Follower in an eighteenth century army. He knew no other life but the army so when he was old enough he became a drummer boy. If he survives he will become an infantryman himself.
- Inverted: Only the oldest people in this world's society are allowed to fight as they have lived their lives to the full.
- Subverted: Children go to great lengths to try and volunteer but an army captain absolutely refuses them on moral grounds.
- Double Subverted: The children then become guerrilla fighters and assist somehow.
- Newborn babies are handed guns and given over to the Drill Sergeant Nasty who is a baby himself.
- The actual "war" is a lot less serious, such as a massive scale...waterballoon war.
- Zig Zagged: A captain recruits children to fight, then his conscience gets the better of him and he can't stand to force them to fight - looking as though their role in the story will be over, then they rescue him when he's taken prisoner, then he still can't force them to fight, however one is a Teen Genius who devises a strategy to take the enemy stronghold or another is The Hero whose Magic Sword or ability to pilot a Humongous Mecha is necessary to win the war.
- Averted: All soldiers are adults.
- Enforced: "We need to expand our market demographic. Stick a couple of kids in the show." "But sir, it's a show about bloody war." "Just do it!"
- Lampshaded: "My army corps is a goddamned nursery!"
- Children are forcibly recruited into the army.
- "I look old enough, so I'll lie about my age and join the army to protect my country!"
- Exploited: ''Lets get some photos of dead Child Soldiers. It will be sure to be on the front page."
- Discussed: "We seem to be looking after more and more kids these days, huh Alice?"
- Conversed: "Stories about children who fight in war break my heart."
- Deconstructed: The ethical implications of this are explored in great detail.
- Reconstructed: The Kid Hero breaks out of his Heroic BSOD and plays a major part in an upcoming battle.
Eh, you look old enough, and we do need some more warm bodies, so...you're in! Head back to Child Soldiers