- Straight: Bob is talking to Alice and says, "I have our date all planned out. We'll go to that fancy Italian restaurant, then we'll watch the fireworks at midnight, then we'll kick the neighborhood puppies down the street."
- "I'm really excited for my trip to Washington, D.C. I'm gonna see the Washington Monument, visit the Smithsonian, and bomb the White House.
- And then I'll visit the sightings of my bombings of the Washington Monument and Smithsonian."
- From Bad to Worse: When the list has already started as disturbing.
- "Come on! We're going to go get some lunch, play some video games, and read pornography."
- Bob is Affably Evil.
- Bob doesn't understand why one of his suggestions is more out of place than the others.
- Bob has No Social Skills and doesn't realize that bringing up certain topics in ordinary conversation are generally considered inappropriate.
- Bob doesn't actually mean the last one; he's just messing with Alice.
- Inverted: "Let's go assassinate the president, strangle some kids, and boo at Sharknado".
- "Let's have lunch, ride our bikes, then kill some prostitutes... in GTA 4!"
- "I'm just going out to get some lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, pepper, and rape.... seed oil."
- Double Subverted: "Then bomb the Capitol!"
Bob: We need to get milk, eggs, bread, printer ink, a ream of paper, and the dead body out of your car.
- Alice ends up enjoying the date.
Alice: But I thought you said you already got the printer ink!
- Zig Zagged:
Bob: "Let's have lunch, ride our bikes, kill some prostitutes in GTA 4, and bomb the Capitol!"
Alice: "You can bomb the Capitol in GTA 4?"
Bob: "No, I meant the real Capitol... The realistic-looking Capitol in another game that I play! And if it's bombed, the game-makers will carry out that in real life for us! ... If we pay them the amount of money needed for the explosives..."
- "I'm gonna bomb the White House today!"
- Alternatively, "Hey, I just need to get some gas, pick up the groceries, and make dinner."
- Enforced: "All right, we need to mention the Big Bad's plan, but we still need to make him Affably Evil. Any ideas?"
- Invoked: Bob always throws a disconcerting comment at the end of his lists to throw people off.
- Exploited: Bob throws the "squick" item in so that Alice will allow him to do the "bread, eggs, milk" options, which are what he actually wanted.
- Defied: Bob always makes the nature of his lists very obvious, with no sudden twists for better or worse.
- Discussed: "Did Bob just casually mention wanting to kill a priest?"
- Conversed: "Well, at least he's honest."
- Played For Drama: "So yeah, we'll just run out for pizza, catch a movie, maybe go out for a couple drinks, and lynch that bastard. Sound good?" After jokes have been had at this little "joke", it turns out that Bob planned things this way for real - after getting everyone else drunk, he convinces them to lynch the bastard so he won't get the blame.
- Played For Laughs:
Bob: "This date will be perfect, we'll get some Italian food, go on a boat ride and murder a priest."
Bob: "I'm just messing with you, I hate Italian food."
- Implied: Alice was talking to Bob over the phone about their date plans. Near the end of the phone call, Alice is visibly scared.
- Deconstructed: Alice breaks up with Bob.
- Reconstructed: Bob was joking about the Squick part, and Alice knows it.
- Plotted A Good Waste: Bob's inclusion of the Squick shows that he's going insane.
Hey, we should ride our bikes, go back to Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick, and kill my neighbor!