: Evil character does something that endears them to the audience, only to reveal their true nature later on.
- Straight: Among Emperor Evulz' ranks is Lady Scarlett, a Friendly Enemy who treats Lorelai as a Worthy Opponent, and always tries to fight her on equal terms, with no tricks nor underhanded tactics. However, she later reveals her true nature as a battle-crazed Blood Knight who loves seeing Lorelai battle and will do ANYTHING to bait her into another fight... including crossing the Moral Event Horizon.
- Downplayed: Lady Scarlett first seems like a cruel Blood Knight who only targets those she deems strong enough to kill. But then its revealed she will attack helpless people too.
- Scarlett is in a position where it pays to be a Villain with Good Publicity.
- Scarlett would be locked up/deserted by her allies/double-crossed at the first opportunity if she showed outright how evil she is. Nonetheless, she still enjoys her sadistic actions all too much to want to give them up if not needed.
- Vladimir looks like a really unpleasant guy at first with his contemptuous demeanor and shady actions. However, he turns out to be one of the most heroic people Lorelai has met. So in other words: Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- The audience is led to believe Vladimer is an evil, disgusting man who trained Scarlett to become the murderous nut she is... Only for it to be revealed that Scarlett was a Deceptive Disciple and/or A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil. Vladimir is actually a really pleasant guy who stops his important charity work to give the heroes some tea and cookies.
- Subverted: Scarlett really is a decent person despite working for The Empire.
- Double Subverted: ...Only that's all just an act to lure people off-guard.
- Parodied: Scarlett is a clacking Dastardly Whiplash that lures children to her gingerbread house to cook them in a stew; and YET, the heroes think she's just a nice lady that likes to give food and shelter to unfortunate children. Even her Evil Laugh is rationalized as her being just an extremely happy individual.
- Zig Zagged: Despite the lengths she'll go to get a good fight out of Lorelai, she genuinely does respect her as a Worthy Opponent, has a few legitimate Pet the Dog moments, and has her own (Warped, complex, and somewhat contradictory and hard to grasp) Code of Honor
- Averted: Scarlett is just as noble as she lets on.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: Scarlett is a Cloudcuckoolander, and upon committing her crossing, she appears to look directly at the audience while asking "What did you expect?"
- Invoked: Emperor Evulz coaches Scarlett to act friendly and use her charm to lure people off their guard.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Vladimir makes it clear he knows what kind of a person Scarlett is really like and that her charming face doesn't work on him.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Scarlett is actually in love with Lorelai, but is incapable of expressing her feelings properly outside combat due to a crippled upbringing by Emperor Evulz.
Back to Bait the Dog