Pinball: The Lord of the Rings
Gollum: "My Precious!"The Lord of the Rings
is a 2003 pinball game designed by George Gomez
, programmed by Keith Johnson
, and released by Stern Pinball
. Based on The Lord of the Rings
film trilogy, it naturally encompasses all of the major characters and events of the epic. Assemble the Fellowship, fight the Balrog, knock down Barad-Dûr, and face the Eye of Sauron. Players who manage to endure all three multiball modes (one for each part of the trilogy) will be able to finally Destroy the Ring. But only the best warriors can ascend into Valinor...
Along with sound clips from the movies, Elijah Wood
and John Rhys-Davies
reprise their roles as Frodo and Gimli, respectively, to provide custom speech for this game.The Lord of the Rings
was re-released in December 2009 as The Lord of the Rings: Limited Edition
, which includes a signed playfield, gold-plated and brass metalwork, a mirrored gold backglass, and software and hardware support for a shaker motor. Only 500 units of the limited edition were made.
This pinball demonstrates the following tropes:
- Artifact of Doom/Ring of Power: The One Ring, which must be destroyed during "Destroy the Ring".
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: The Two Towers.
- Gotta Catch Them All:
- Collect all Fellowship members to start Fellowship of the Ring Multiball.
- Collect 5,000 souls to start Return of the King Multiball.
- Collecting all six Elf Gifts is one of the requirements for Valinor Multiball.
- Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition
- Ramp Jump: The Ring Ramp, located in the center.
- Real Song Theme Tune
- Score Multiplier: There's the Jackpot multipliers during Two Towers and Return of the King Multiballs, as well as the 2x Scoring gift, and during Gollum Multiball, you can score twice (Smeagol) or half (Gollum) the value.
- The player can score an 84x(!) Jackpot during Two Towers Multiball, but it is difficult to do.
- Skill Shot: There are three skill shots: the Tower Skill Shot, the Flipper Skill Shot, and the Lane Skill Shot.
- The Tower Skill Shot requires the player to plunge the ball into the Orthanc Tower for points, and to send the ball to the Path of the Dead
- The Lane Skill Shot requires the player to plunge the ball over the O-R-C lanes for points.
- The Flipper Skill Shot requires the player to fully plunge the ball, and then quickly shoot the right ramp for points.
- Spelling Bonus: O-R-C increases the bonus multiplier, while K-E-E-P lights a lock for Two Towers Multiball.
- Take That Player: The quote when you tilt.
Treebeard: "There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery."
- Whole Episode Flashback: "There and Back Again", which revisits all of the Ring Modes.
- Wizard Mode: Valinor Multiball, which is as difficult to reach as The Simpsons Pinball Party's "Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode". It can only be enabled if the player completes all three multiball modes, achieving "There and Back Again", collecting all of the Gifts of the Elves, and Destroying the Ring.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: The Valinor Multiball teasers are shown after completing Destroy the Ring, if the player hasn't met the requirements to reach it.
Valinor awaits, but there is more yet to do. — Teaser to Valinor Multiball