Music / Violet UK
Solo project by Yoshiki Hayashi
that has spanned over 10 years of work. Arguably a Casting Couch
, but has produced some very interesting solo music. Violet UK has produced music for, among others, the movies Catacombs
("Blue Butterfly,"), Repo! The Genetic Opera
("Rosa"), a Japanese news station ("Blue Sky Heaven"), as well as a series of previous songs that were performed in a 2002 symphonic concert (one of which, "Unnamed Song," was Covered Up
by X Japan
vocalist Toshi in his 2010 farewell solo live). Technically (though it can also be considered under Yoshiki's solo classical project), the 2014 song Hero
for Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary
also is a Violet UK song due to the project's sole remaining vocalist (Katie Fitzgerald) being the vocalist of record for it.
Provides Examples of:
- Angst: It wouldn't *be* a Yoshiki Hayashi project without it. Much of the angst is about lost love...
- Animal Motifs: Insect motifs, that is, for Blue Butterfly.
- Anyone Can Die: Originally Violet UK was meant to be the "Second X Japan," X Japan with hide as the lead vocalist. When hide died, these plans for the fusion fell apart, and Yoshiki reinvisioned the project to be fashion and music, with each new song being his experience with Love Hurts, written for Toshi's voice but given to a group of female singers.
- Apocalyptic Log: The radio edit/TV commercial ambient sound version of Blind Dance. The "the nuclear facilities" line also makes this Harsher in Hindsight.
- Artistic Stimulation: If the Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll songs are from personal experience...
- A Taste of the Lash: Someone's getting this in the full version of Blind Dance.
- Author Appeal: The model vocalists and the BDSM themes.
- Badass Driver: Yoshiki in the PV for Confusion (one of the lesser known songs) + White Poem II's Violet UK remix.
- Bleached Underpants / Bowdlerize : Blind Dance, which for its commercial version/radio edit was not only cut for time and style (the original runs 18 minutes long and is Gothic Metal) but also for orgasmic moans, references to BDSM, and a Cluster F-Bomb.
- Bound and Gagged: Not necessarily gagged, but the protagonist having the sex in Blind Dance is blindfolded and bound.
- Brains and Bondage: Blind Dance, and Blue and Blind are not your usual Obligatory Bondage Songs. They are far more subtle and nuanced than the usual take on this trope, and Blind Dance full version is comparable to Art of Life.
- Breakup Song: Amethyst is a Breakup Song + Grief Song (undesired breakup due to death and longing for the dead partner to return).
- But Not Too Foreign: Played straight and defied at the same time. Violet UK has had only one Japanese vocalist (two if you count Toshi's covering two songs), and it seems a prerequisite for vocalists to be female, thin, modelesque, European, and preferably blonde (though Nicole Scherzinger was an exception for European and blonde). Therefore the trope is played straight for Hollywood, but defied for Japan.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: Blue Butterfly.
- Casting Couch: Its vocalists all seem to share certain characteristics that Yoshiki appears to find personally attractive, and he's dated at least one vocalist and one bassist from the project.
- Cluster F-Bomb: One can be found in the full version of Blind Dance (the 17 minute plus version). "Fucking, fucking, fucking..."
- Cool Car: See Badass Driver in the Confusion PV above - Yoshiki is driving a black sports car with the marque obscured but it's likely a Porsche or Lamborghini.
- One also appears in the allegedly fanmade PV for Sex and Religion - part of the composite footage the editor used was from a TV documentary on Yoshiki featuring him driving a white Lamborghini.
- Combat Stilettos: Invoked in the Confusion PV - Yoshiki's bodyguards are all models. Wearing high heels.
- Cover Version: Toshi has covered Unnamed Song/7th, and I'll Be Your Love.
- Damage-Proof Vehicle: The car in Confusion.
- Dominatrix: Heavily implied in some of the fashion, and again Blind Dance could be with one of these... or a lover.
- Due to the Dead: Amethyst and Unnamed Song/7th are both Grief Song and this in their own way.
- Emergency Broadcast: Fused with Apocalyptic Log for the ambient sound commercial cut of Blind Dance.
- Epic Rocking: The full version of Blind Dance, especially once the drums come in. Sex and Religion, again for the drums. Blue Butterfly is almost there.
- Fashion Show: VUK's usual role in X Japan concerts.
- Going Cosmic: Happens during the full version of Blind Dance, and Sex and Religion tries for it with its lyrical theme. Rosa is a more nuanced version not related to sex but to angst.
- Gray Rain of Depression: Referred to in the lyrics of I'll Be Your Love.
- Gothic Punk
- Gothic Metal
- Goth Rock
- Grief Song: Amethyst, Without You VUK version, 7th/Unnamed Song
- Gut Punch: Amethyst's lyrics. The instrumental version just sounds like a pretty instrumental semi-classical piece. The lyrics are pure, raw Grief Song over a lover lost to death.
- Horror: Most of the US work Violet UK has done is horror or Splatter Punk, such as Catacombs and Repo!.
- The Immodest Orgasm: In the full version of Blind Dance, someone's having this complete with a Cluster F-Bomb. Yoshiki's moaning/panting during the drum solo in Sex And Religion might also qualify.
- Improbably Female Cast: In regard to Visual Kei at least - aside from Yoshiki himself, Toshi covering a couple of songs, and Sugizo guest starring on guitar once, Violet UK is mostly female members at least in stage performance.
- Intercourse with You: The full version of Blind Dance. The radio edit is an ambient sound piece with some of the vocals left in, but it's more reliant on Double Entendre and implications. The full version is a Gothic Metal Intercourse with You song.
- Love Hurts: Amethyst. The entire song is a grieving lover for his beloved...
- Ode to Intoxication: Sex And Religion, possibly VUK-R
- Power Pop: English and Japanese versions of I'll Be Your Love.
- Precision F-Strike: "It's still fucking my mind!" in Sex and Religion.
- Performance Video: Only one actual one exists - Confusion/White Poem II, and it's more of a video full of film clips than performance. There is a video for Sex and Religion that is allegedly fanmade but has some very high production value and has archival footage from Yoshiki's collection that hadn't widely circulated the internet outside it - leading to some speculation that the video was either made by Yoshiki himself/his in-house video staff and given to a staffer posing as a fan to post/the account posting it was his Sock Puppet, or that the fan was a high-level kankeisha who was either given the footage or the video.
- Religion Rant Song: Sex And Religion.
- Self-Harm: The lyrics of Hero reference Self-Harm, suicidal feelings, and the struggle to overcome both.
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: Blind Dance original, Sex and Religion, Blue and Blind, VUK-R.
- Talking Down the Suicidal: I'll Be Your Love could be either this or a lesser version, the singer trying to convince the listener there is hope in life...