"There is a yellow one
That won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one
That won't accept the white one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo
Oh sha sha
I AM everyday people"
Clockwise from top: Larry Graham, Freddie Stone, Greg Errico, Sly Stone, Rose Stone, Cynthia Robinson and Jerry MartiniSly and the Family Stone
were a pioneering Funk
-Rock-Soul band best known for their work in the late 1960s-early 1970s. Their biggest hits were "Everyday People," "Hot Fun in the Summertime," "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" and "Family Affair." The group dissolved in the mid-1970s due to Sly's drug problems. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
Not to be confused with The Family Stone.
"Hot tropes in the summertime":
- Alliterative Name: Sly Stone
- Band of Relatives: Sly, Freddie and Rose.
- Cover Version: Doris Day's "Que Sera Sera (Whatever Will Be Will Be)"
- Darker and Edgier: There's A Riot Goin' On.
- Epic Rocking: "Sex Machine" clocks in at 13:45.
- Funk: Along with James Brown, one of the pioneers of it.
- Greatest Hits Album: Greatest Hits, released in 1970. Oddly enough both "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) and "Hot Fun in the Summertime" made their first appearance here, although they certainly became hits in retrospect.
- Heavy Meta/Self Demonstrating Song: "Dance to the Music," where each musician sings about what he is going to do to contribute to the song.
- Hymn to Music: "I Want To Take You Higher".
- "I Am" Song: "I'm An Animal"
- Iconic Band: They've been covered or sampled many times over the years, and were a major influence on George Clinton, Prince, everyone they influenced, etc.
- Lead Bassist: Larry Graham
- Love Hurts: "I'll Never Fall in Love Again"
- Miniscule Rocking: As miniscule as humanly possible. The title track of There's A Riot Goin' On clocks in at 0:00.
- N-Word Privileges: "Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey".
- Pep Talk Song: "Stand," "You Can Make It If You Try".
- Protest Song: "Everyday People," "Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey," There's A Riot Goin' On, "Babies Makin' Babies"
- Pun-Based Title: "Luv N' Haight"
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "Running Away" ("Look at you fooling you")
- Shout-Out: They've received a few.
- The band The Family Stand.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Give It Away" includes the line, "Confide with Sly you'll be the wiser."
- Silly Love Songs: "Trip To Your Heart", "Let Me Hear It From You", "I Hate To Love Her,"
- Single Stanza Song: "Just Like A Baby", "Poet"
- The Something Song: "Sing a Simple Song".
- Song Of Song Titles: "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" mentions "Dance to the Music," "Everyday People," "Sing a Simple Song" and "You Can Make It If You Try," albeit in a sarcastic way.
- Stage Names: Sly, Freddie and Rose's real last name is Stewart.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)".