Music: Marcy Playground
Marcy Playground is a three-piece Alternative Rock band, consisting of John Wozniak on guitar and vocals, Dylan Keefe on bass, and Shlomi Lavie behind the kit. Since 1997, the band has released four full-length albums and one remix album. They are best known as the One-Hit Wonder band behind the song "Sex & Candy," which has frequently appeared on 90s compilations.Their trademark approach is a mellow, mid-tempo 1990s rock sound. The name "Marcy Playground" is named from the Marcy Open grade school in Minneapolis, an alternative school John Wozniak attended; much of his music was inspired by his youth, when he claims he was an "outsider."Their discography consists of the following:
- Marcy Playground (1997)
- Shapeshifter (1999)
- MP3 (2004)
- Leaving Wonderland...In A Fit Of Rage (2009)
- Indaba Remixes from Wonderland (2010) (remix album)
- Lunch, Recess & Detention (2012) (rarities/b-sides collection)
Marcy Playground provides examples of:
- B-Side: "Memphis" is a notable example, as John Wozniak's wife thought it was too good a song to languish as a b-side and convinced him to rerecord it for Leaving Wonderland...In A Fit Of Rage years later.
- Cover Version: Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is covered on Lunch, Recess & Detention.
- Fake-Out Fade-Out / No Ending: Marcy Playground did both of these on one song, within fifteen seconds of each other. "The Shadow Of Seattle" seems to end on a solemn note, then suddenly starts up again for two bars, then the tape abruptly cuts out. It's a bit jarring.
- Grief Song: "Death Of A Cheerleader" from MP3.
- Hidden Track: At the end of MP3 is a band member telling a joke that ends with an Incredibly Lame Pun.
- One Woman Song: "Sherry Fraser."
- Perishing Alt Rock Voice: John Wozniak tended to lean in this direction.
- Pun-Based Title: See, the album is called MP3 because they're Marcy Playground and it's their third album. Eh? Eh?
- Rockstar Song: "Punk Rock Superstar."
- Self-Titled Album
- Spelling Song: Spelling out "B-E A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E" in "Death Of A Cheerleader."
- Stop and Go: "Rosey Risin'" stops briefly so John Wozniak can yawn.
- Surreal Music Video: "Sex & Candy" again.
- Word Salad Lyrics