Vampires is a manga by Osamu Tezuka about a man named Toppei and his little brother Chippei. They have the ability to turn into wolves, which is called being a vampire.
Vampires provides examples of:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In one scene, Tezuka tries to escape from Rokuro, yelling that he can't be killed, since he's the artist of the series.
- Big Bad: Rokuro Mabe.
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": The word "vampires" is used as a name for all the humans who can turn into animals. It's never explained why.
- Lampshaded by Osamu Tezuka, how notices that Toppei is more akin of a werewolf.
- Creator Cameo: Osamu Tezuka himself is a main character.
- Disney Acid Sequence: Rokuro's Villain Song.
- Genre Savvy: When his wife confess to have a "strange feeling" about a boy that Osamu Tezuka just hired, he become wary and thinks to himself "(I)Can't ignore a woman's intuition...".
- Henpecked Husband: Poor Mr. Tezuka!
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Every vampire turns into some animal when subjected to some certain stimulus, which varies from vampire to vampire.
- Reused Character Design: Look, it's Shusaku Ban! And Geta!
- Self-Deprecation: Once Ruriko, another wolf-person, has left Toppei and Chippei, this exchange occurs:Chippei: And why does she look like a fox and not a wolf?Toppei: That's because Osamu Tezuka's a bad artist, Chippei.
- Shout-Out: Rokuro Mabe consults the services of three witches to give him advice. They tell him that he's going to become a great ruler. Anyone who knows Macbeth will recognize them.
- Take Over the World: Rokuro Mabe's final goal, as well as most of the vampires'.
- The Masquerade
- Villain Song: Rokuro's got one.