A Stock Phrase
that is typically uttered by the Big Bad
after being told that the protagonist is there to stop them. This almost always leads directly to the Fight Scene
. Typically used to show the arrogance of the Big Bad
in thinking he can't be stopped by anyone. If he loses, expect him to have a Villainous Breakdown
that invariably includes This Cannot Be!
Alternatively, the hero will be saying this to the Big Bad
, typically in response to the Big Bad's taunts that "You're too late to stop me", "I AM INVINCIBLE!!!!", "You have no chance to survive
", etc. Less patient heroes will say it while the Big Bad is still taunting them.
open/close all folders
Kagome: You stinking toad.
Jaken: You stinking human.
Kagome: Oh yeah? Well, this human's gonna kick your...
Jaken: We'll see about that.
- Bleach episode 157. While Chad is fighting Arrancar #107, the Arrancar tells him that if he continues fighting he'll die. Chad says "We'll see about that".
- In Star Wars Millennium Falcon after a droid comes aboard to aid in the hijacking of the Falcon, C-3PO asks what it's doing and the droid says that it's "borrowing" it. C-3PO's response? "Borrowing it? We'll just see about that."
"Anakin knew exactly what the Jedi master was thinking, the same thing he was always thinking: 'He still has much to learn.' Anakin's smile thinned to a grim, straight line as enemy starfighters swarmed around him and he thought the same thing he always thought: 'We'll see about that.' He gave himself to the battle and the starfighter whirled and his cannons hammered and droids on all sides began to burst into clouds of debris and superheated gas. This was how he relaxed."
Live Action TV
- The Protomen, while Light and Wily are debating the appropriate use to put their robots to:
: You are a fool! Light
: You underestimate the character of man. Wily
: They are weaker than you think! Light
: You think that they'll surrender if you bind their working hands. But they are strong! Wily
: Just wait and see.
- World of Warcraft: In the Culling Of Stratholme there is a part of the dungeon where a Boss from the Infinite Dragonflight emerges to say he's there to stop Arthas from purging Stratholme. Arthas replies that nothing can stop him, in response the boss utters this phrase.
- The G-Man says this in Half-Life 2: Episode 1 when the vortigaunts free Gordon from his control.
- Kingdom Hearts
Sora: My heart will stay with my friends. It'll never die!
Riku: Really... Well, we'll just see about that!
- This is Zidane's response in Final Fantasy IX when the Earth Guardian tells him that it's futile for the split group to try conquering all four of the elemental shrines at once.
- In Tomb Raider III, Lara says this to Sophia Leigh after not-too-subtly demonstrating her knowledge of Sophia's human experiments and possession of the meteorite artifact.
Lara: All I want is the artefact.
Sophia Leigh: Ha...in your next life!
Lara: ''(Draws pistols) We'll see about that.
- In The Simpsons episode "Homer Badman", Homer delivers this line:
Homer: Like one time, they were having this race with the stupid old tiny bicycle with the big wheel in front, so I figure, "We'll see about that!" So I get this big chunk of cinderblock, and — (cut short)
- Said by Rainbow Dash in "A Dog and Pony Show" on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Discord uses it on her in "The Return of Harmony, Part 1" after she declares that she'll always be loyal to Princess Celestia.
- Happens in the Animated Adaptation of Franklin in "Franklin and the Trading Cards" when Fox says that Franklin is his friend and will give him the extra card.
Beaver: We'll just see about that!
Fox: Yeah, I guess we will!
- Anakin Skywalker to a slaver in "Kidnapped" from Star Wars: The Clone Wars after he says that his queen will bring back the slave trade.
- On WordGirl, Mrs. Botsford says this to Dr. Two-Brains when he says that he and his henchmen will win the soccer game in "Bend it Like Becky."
- Chuck also uses it on WordGirl in "Chuck With a Side of Brent" when she tells him "It's over!"
- And T.J. uses it in "Dinner or Consequences" when Becky wants to use a family trial to prove her innocence and get out of being "mega-grounded."
- In "Buster's Secret Admirer" on Arthur Buster suggests that his secret admirer could be Fern— that this shy girl doesn't want anyone to know that she's fallen for the most popular guy in the school. Arthur tells him that he thinks all of those chocolates (that his secret admirer sent him) have gotten to his brain. Buster's response? "We'll see about that."
- And in "Sue Ellen Vegges Out," Muffy insists "We'll just see about that" when the other kids say that she won't last at being a vegetarian. She lasts less than a day, but she was only doing it anyway because it was the latest fad, and there was a new fad that day.
- In "Brain's Biggest Blunder," Brain is assigned to be part of a team for a math contest with Binky and Buster. Prunella thinks that this is her and her team's opportunity to win, and Brain comments "That Prunella thinks she's got this contest in the bag. Well, we'll just see about that!"
- A lighter and softer example. In Code Lyoko, Yumi and Ulrich race each other to the elevator in "The Trap", Yumi boasts that she will beat Ulrich to the elevator. His response?
Ulrich: We'll see.
- In the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Pranks a Lot" SpongeBob and Patrick have made themselves invisible and are terrorizing Bikini Bottom pretending to be ghosts. When reading a newspaper on their success, this is SpongeBob's response to Patrick reading that Mr. Krabs isn't afraid of ghosts.
- In one episode of Celebrity Deathmatch, where the ring is done up to resemble a court, referee Mills Lane scolds Judge Judy for killing her opponent Susan Lucci before he can officially start the fight.
Mills: This is my court, and I'll start the proceedings here!
Judy: I'll be the judge of that, AND of this courtroom!
- This is Nana's reaction in "But I Like Mud!" on Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs when Harry tells her that he's never going to take a bath again and just stay dirty forever. She then runs after him with a hose.