"Nothing can possibly go wrong. We're in love!"
"So were Romeo and Juliet."Often makes correct use of something commonly used in an Analogy Backfire and/or lampshades Tempting Fate. Thus, it is usually the territory of the Genre Savvy and Deadpan Snarkers. Super Trope to Hitler Ate Sugar. Hitler Ate Sugar is supposed to argue that doing something is evil because someone else who was evil did it, too. So Was X is supposed to argue that someone or something could be incorrect or just as dangerous as something else (the X). See also Appeal to Obscurity and You Know Who Said That.
open/close all folders
- In Watchmen, an astonished Nite Owl doesn't understand how Ozymandias could be involved with the nefarious plot against costumed superheroes, when that character is such an incredibly good person as well as a vegetarian. Rorschach points out that Hitler was a vegetarian, too.
- In the Judge Dredd Spin-Off series The Simping Detective, Jack Point lights up a cigar in Sector Chief Daveez's office and makes it clear that he knows Daveez played a significant role in a criminal case he was investigating and covered it up. Daveez responds by grabbing Point by his jacket lapels and threatening him to drop the case, the exchange ends,
Daveez: ...And smoking's still illegal, creep.
Jack: (points to the martini glass on his desk) Yeah. Heh, so's alcohol.
- In Johnny Mnemonic, Johnny insists that trying to make a deal with the evil corporation is a good idea, explaining that they'd be willing to make a deal because they're corporate.
Jane: So is the Yakuza.
- In Matilda, Miss Honey tries to show Miss Trunchbull how smart Matilda is:
Miss Honey: She can multiply large numbers instantly in her head.
Miss Trunchbull: So can a calculator.
- In Stripes, when thinking of how to rescue their platoon from Czech soldiers:
Russell Ziskey: Do the words "Act of war" mean anything to you?John Winger: I have a plan.Russell: Great. Custer had a plan, too.
The Metatron: I am to charge you with a holy crusade.Bethany Sloan: For the record, I work in an abortion clinic.The Metatron: Noah was a drunk, and look what he accomplished—and no one's asking you to build an ark!
- Played for Laughs in Soap Dish:
David: I was under orders.Celeste: So was Hitler! Oh, no, I don't mean Hitler, I mean the other guy.David: Himmler? Hess?Rose: Eichmann?David: Eichmann.Celeste: Yes! Eichmann! That's you!
- Necessary Roughness has a moment where Dean Elias confronts journalism professor Suzanne Carter over her relationship with her (40-year old) student Paul Blake.
Suzanne: We're consenting adults!Dean Elias: So were Bonnie and Clyde!
- From P. G. Wodehouse's "Honeysuckle Cottage":
"Don't do it." said Mr McKinnon, a stout bachelor. "You're too young to marry.""So was Methuselah," said James, a stouter.
- From Michael Stackpole's "Wolf and Raven":
A footnote written by Wolf: "Sure, the Beretta Viper 14 is old. So's gravity, but it still works."
- In Jam, Tim voices concerns about the settlement in the Hibatsu building in that it's run like a corporation, with no regard for the lives of individuals. Don replies he doesn't care, because it's efficient. Tim points out that Nazi Germany was efficient, in response to which Don calls him out for invoking Godwin's Law.
- The Discworld novel Making Money makes this point regarding one of the Igors' "restorative concotions."
Moist von Lipwig: Ah yes, Splot... It contained herbs and all natural ingredients. But belladonna was a herb and arsenic was natural.
Live Action TV
- From Dragnet episode "The Prophet", Brother William tries to convince Joe Friday of the benefits of drugs:
Brother William: "I'm not only news, my friend, I make news. Big news."Friday: "So did Judas."
- In Monk, on the episode "Mr. Monk Takes the Stand," the D.A. worries Evan Gildea will walk because of his lawyer Harrison Powell:
D.A. Charles Friedken: Well, nobody's sleeping today. Harrison Powell is the Prince of Darkness, so be careful up there. Don't volunteer anything. If you don't remember something, just say you don't remember.Natalie Teeger: But he's guilty, right?D.A. Charles Friedken: So was O.J.
- From Lost:
Hurley: Do not open that! There's dynamite and it's mega-unstable.
Richard: I know that.
Hurley: Well, so did Dr. Arzt. And I was wiping him out of my shirt two days later.
- From The Jeffersons, during one of the many times George brags about his wealth:
George: I worked my way from the bottom up to the top!
Helen: So does a gopher!
- Doctor Who, "Robot":
The Doctor: Never cared much for the word "impregnable." Sounds a bit too much like "unsinkable."
Harry: What's wrong with "unsinkable"?
The Doctor: Nothing. As the iceberg said to the Titanic.
The Doctor: Gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop.
- The same metaphor was revisited in the new series, "End of the World":
Jabe: This facility is purely automatic. It's the height of the Alpha Class. Nothing can go wrong.
The Doctor: Unsinkable?
Jabe: If you like. The nautical metaphor is appropriate.
The Doctor: You're telling me. I was on board another ship once they said that was unsinkable. I ended up clinging to an iceberg. It wasn't half cold.
- The same metaphor was revisited in the new series, "End of the World":
- Paired with an unsavoury family revelation in the second season of Blackadder:
Blackadder: You're fired.Baldrick: But my lord, I've been in your family since 1532!Blackadder: So has syphilis. Now get out!
- Two and a Half Men, episode "It's Always Nazi Week":
Alan: Let's just give it a chance. See how it works.Charlie: That's what Poland said about the Germans.Alan: Been watching the History Channel again?Charlie: It's Nazi Week.Alan: It's always Nazi Week.
- From Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street:
Toby: Get Pirelli's;
Use a bottle of it!
Ladies seem to love it—Mrs. Lovett: Flies do, too!
- Stand Still, Stay Silent: After Onni had been in Deep Sleep long enough that he's had to be hooked up on IV, the children from the house it which he's been staying think he's dead and ask their mother if they should bury him. Their mother tells them he's not dead, just tired and needing to sleep.
Anna: That's what you said about the dead bird we found, too.
- From the Marvel/DC Harry Potter Parody:
- Zero Punctuation: The review of the 2013 Tomb Raider referred to Lara Croft's character development in the form of repeatedly bullying her with this line:
"So you can kill a man and take a machete like a champ. A concrete block can do that, but you can't kick one out the back of a moving truck and call that a character arc!"
- From The Tourettes Guy:
Man: The strongest, biggest creatures on Earth are vegetarians.
Danny's Dad: Yeah, like the brontosaurus, and look what happened to that asshole.
- One episode of Spongebob Squarepants has Spongebob fanboy over Kevin the sea cucumber, a famous jellyfish hunter. Kevin spends the episode abusing Spongebob's naivete, chasing him and cornering him above a trench in a robotic jellyfish before revealing himself. When Spongebob tells him he's his biggest fan, Kevin points to the bottom of the trench and says "So were they".
Guy in trench: Hey everybody! Kevin's back!!!
- Seen on various message boards:
Hemlock is both natural and organic.
Heroin is natural. Nicotine is natural. A pack of wild wolves is natural! Natural doesn't mean safe!
- From comedian Matt Kirshen:
- The famous "90% of everything is crap" phrasing of Sturgeon's Law is an example, having been originally said in response to a statement that 90% of Science Fiction is crap, and the accompanying implication that this says anything about science fiction particularly.