A Stock Phrase
that uses an analogy to make a point. Someone has tried to make a point about something; in response, someone points out something obvious that contradicts it in this fashion:
"Nothing can possibly go wrong. We're in love!"
Often makes correct use of something commonly used in an Analogy Backfire
and/or lampshades Tempting Fate
. Thus, it is usually the territory of the Genre Savvy
and Deadpan Snarkers
to Hitler Ate Sugar
. Hitler Ate Sugar
is supposed to argue that doing something is evil because someone else who was evil did it, too. So Was X is supposed to argue that someone or something could be incorrect or just as dangerous as something else (the X).
See also Appeal to Obscurity
- In Johnny Mnemonic, Johnny insists that trying to make a deal with the evil corporation is a good idea, explaining that they'd be willing to make a deal because they're corporate.
Jane: So is the Yakuza.
- In Matilda, Miss Honey tries to show Miss Trunchbull how smart Matilda is:
Miss Honey: She can multiply large numbers instantly in her head.
Miss Trunchbull: So can a calculator.
- In Stripes, when thinking of how to rescue their platoon from Czech soldiers:
Russell Ziskey: Do the words "Act of war" mean anything to you?
John Winger: I have a plan.
Russell: Great. Custer had a plan, too.
Bethany Sloan: For the record, I work in an abortion clinic.
The Metatron: Noah was a drunk, and look what he accomplished—and no one's asking you to build an ark!
- Played for Laughs in Soap Dish:
David: I was under orders.
Celeste: So was Hitler! Oh, no, I don't mean Hitler, I mean the other guy.
David: Himmler? Hess?
Celeste: Yes! Eichmann! That's you!
Live Action TV
- From P.G. Wodehouse's "Honeysuckle Cottage":
"Don't do it." said Mr McKinnon, a stout bachelor. "You're too young to marry."
"So was Methuselah," said James, a stouter.
- From Michael Stackpole's "Wolf and Raven":
A footnote written by Wolf: "Sure, the Beretta Viper 14 is old. So's gravity, but it still works."
- From an episode of the last season of Monk, where the prosecutor is worried the Suspect of the Week will walk:
Stottlemeyer: Relax, the guy is clearly guilty.
Prosecutor: So was OJ.
- From LOST:
Hurley: Do not open that! There's dynamite and it's mega-unstable.
Richard: I know that.
Hurley: Well, so did Dr. Arzt. And I was wiping him out of my shirt two days later.
- From The Jeffersons, during one of the many times George brags about his wealth:
George: I worked my way from the bottom up to the top!
Helen: So does a gopher!
- Doctor Who, "Robot":
The Doctor: Never cared much for the word "impregnable." Sounds a bit too much like "unsinkable."
Harry: What's wrong with "unsinkable"?
The Doctor: Nothing. As the iceberg said to the Titanic.
The Doctor: Gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop.
- Seen on various message boards:
Heroin is natural. Nicotine is natural. A pack of wild wolves is natural! Natural doesn't mean safe!
Ah yes, Splot, thought Moist. It contained herbs and all natural ingredients. But belladonna was a herb and arsenic was natural.