open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- There's an Azumanga Daioh omnibus that compiles the entire series into a single volume. It's around 700 pages long.
- Viz has compiled Dragon Ball Z and Rurouni Kenshin into "Viz Big" editions that contain three or four volumes each. Both One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist have also received this treatment, but neither are under the Viz Big name.
- Dark Horse Comics has started doing this with many manga series, including several CLAMP works.
- Mahou Sensei Negima! is being re-released in Omnibuses in North America with a new translation job, in order to replace the first 21 volumes which had varying levels of dubious quality. Negima's predecessor Love Hina has been released by Kodansha Comics in the form of five Omnibus editions.
- Gunslinger Girl has a number of omnibus collections. The first two are three volumes each, and every subsequent one is two each.
- Attack on Titan received a 1000 page long "Colossal Edition" that compiles the first five volumes of the manga, courtesy of Kodansha Comics. Another "Colossal Edition" compiling volumes 6 through 10 was released the following year, and volumes 11 through 15 the year after that. It's safe to assume the rest of the series will follow suit.
- Sands of Destruction was compiled into two volumes after it completed its run in Dengeki Maoh; each volume is around 200 pages. Each one also includes a couple of omake comics.
- In 2016, all 12 volumes of Death Note were compiled into a single 2400 page omnibus. It must be seen to be believed.
- Comics in the Star Wars Expanded Universe have been getting combined into books much larger than graphic novel. They're each called an "Omnibus", and contain two to three arcs, each composed of four comics. This started with the X-Wing Series, which has a total of three omnibuses.
- Comic books in general nowadays tend to be collected in Trade Paperback editions collecting a story arc; hence Writing for the Trade.
- Marvel and DC also put out "Essential" and "Showcase" editions of older comics: phone book-sized books in black and white collecting a larger series at a time, usually 20 issues or more. Plus the "absolute" editions, which are in color on high quality paper, usually with extras.
- And of course both Marvel and DC have books called Omnibuses: Hardcover books with high quality pages larger than normal comics and with huge page counts, at the cost of a hefty price tag.
- The original Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe comics have been compiled into paperback books.
- The first seven Danger Girl comics were reprinted in a paperback book.
- Bone was initially published as individual issues, which were collected into nine trade paperbacks... which were then republished as the One Volume Edition. It's a 1300-page tome.
- ElfQuest was at one point collected into a single limited-edition volume containing the original 20-part series - a mere 652 pages. (Strictly speaking a compilation of compilations, collecting 4 volumes containing 5 parts each.)
- Many of the older Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics have been published in omnibus form, as have many Angel ones. Ditto the early Buffy tie-in novels.
- Most of the Dragaera novels have been reprinted in omnibus editions, with two or three novels to a book.
- The Vorkosigan Saga also has a number of omnibuses; all of them have "Miles" in the title after the primary series protagonist except for Cordelia's Honor, which collects the novels where Cordelia is the protagonist. Memory — the capstone novel of the series — remains in print separately despite the fact that the two novels after it have already been collected as Miles in Love.
- The Sector General books have been collected into four omnibus editions of three novels each. Confusingly, the novels themselves are mostly Patchwork Stories pieced together out of shorter works.
- Roger Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber series, which consists of two sets of five novels, has had several. The first set was originally collected as The Chronicles of Amber (logically enough). When the second set of novels came out, telling the tale of the son of the protagonist of the first set, the first set was reprinted as The First Chronicles of Amber, and the new set was published as The Second Chronicles of Amber. All ten novels were collected in The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles.
- The three Lord Darcy books (Murder and Magic, Too Many Magicians and Lord Darcy Investigates) were made into one book entitled Lord Darcy.
- The 12 Thieves' World books have been combined into 4 collections: Sanctuary, Cross-Currents, The Shattered Sphere and The Price of Victory.
- Lloyd Alexander's five Prydain books were joined into The Chronicles of Prydain.
- Harper Collins has published several one volume compilations of the seven The Chronicles of Narnia books.
- The "Invasion" series of Star Trek novels.
- Lord Peter, a collection of Dorothy L. Sayers' short stories starring Lord Peter Wimsey published in 1986.
- The Ciaphas Cain omnibusses demonstrate the kind of exaggerated propaganda Cain is used for: a commissar with bulging muscles standing triumphantly Atop a Mountain of Corpses with an unbelievably smug grin, or with a Blade Above The Shoulder and a smoking Hand Cannon. Note that Cain is tall but not particularly bulky, and prefers a smaller and more accurate laspistol to the monstrous bolt pistol he's shown with.
- A weird example is the one that contains all the Genevieve books. It contains 4 books, but Genevieve is only a very brief cameo in one and only in two of four short stories in another.
- Dorothy Parker lives on almost entirely in various omnibus versions of her poetry and short story collections, originally created to entertain servicemen during WWII. The best known of her omnibuses are The Portable Dorothy Parker and The Collected Dorothy Parker.
- Many Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer novels series are reissued in omnibus form, each omnibus typically containing three novels. The Gotrek & Felix, Gaunt's Ghosts, Shira Calpurnia, and various Space Marine novels have received this treatment.
- All of the original 26 books in The Railway Series by the Rev. Wilbert Awdry were collected into a single volume called Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection. A similar book, Thomas the Tank Engine: The New Collection, exists for the first fourteen books by Wilbert's son Christopher. It has since been rendered dated by the publication of a new book in the series.
- The Illuminatus! Trilogy was reprinted as an omnibus in 1984, and it remains available that way to this day.
- The Complete Adventures of Charlie and Mr. Willy Wonka is an omnibus edition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.
- Rihannsu: The Bloodwing Voyages comprises the first four Rihannsu novels by Diane Duane, with Swordhunt and Honor Blade merged back together and a few minor Orwellian Retcons for the sake of internal continuity.
- The original Strand Magazine prints of Sherlock Holmes have been collected in two famed facsimile Omnibus volumes, known as the Sherlock Holmes Illustrated Omnibus, complete with the illustrations by Sidney Paget and his colleagues.
- The Science Fiction Book Club printed an exclusive omnibus edition of the three Drake Maijstral books under the title Ten Points for Style.
- Googlebrains has Lack of Inspiration which is technically an omnibus.