Film: Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
20 years have passed. During them, cats and dogs died of a mysterious disease, and apes became both household pets and servants for mankind. The United States became oppressive and fascist in culture, of uniformed classes and castes, based upon ape slave labour. And Milo, now known as Caesar, is a horseback rider in Armando's circus.
This movie contains examples of:
- California Doubling: The opening scenes showing apes being processed at Ape Control were filmed on the campus of the University of California at Irvine (which had just opened in 1971)
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The apes wear different jumpsuits depending on their species: chimps wear green, gorillas wear red and orangutans wear yellow.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The movie was filmed just as The Sixties were ending, but with the streets still filled with violent riots over Vietnam and Civil Rights.
- Driven to Suicide: Armando.
- Electric Torture: Caesar is tortured to make him admit he can talk. One of the men watching it leaves, apparently sickened. The Big Bad then shows he has an order for Caesar's execution, so just turn it on again Up to Eleven and electrocute him. The other man who left went to a control room and turned off the power. Caesar is smart enough to fake his own death by torture, then later escapes.
- Five Rounds Rapid: Played very straight with how the humans fight the apes, no matter how bad things get for the humans, they never go to anything more dangerous than riot police with rifles and shotguns.
- Foreshadowing: "Caesar. A king."
- Identical Grandson: Roddy McDowall plays Ceasar here, and in all the follow-ups.
- Ironic Echo: When Caesar ordered to have the Apes kill Breck, Lisa uttered "N... no".
- Meaningful Name: Caesar.Breck: Caesar. A king.
- Misplaced Wildlife: Caesar hid himself in a cage full of orangutans. But one of Governor Breck's subordinates learn of this since "there are no chimpanzees in Borneo".
- Not So Different: Between Caesar and MacDonald.
- Only Sane Man: Armando and MacDonald.
- Stable Time Loop: The apes from the future create the apes from the past.
- Title DropCaesar: Tonight, we have seen... the birth... of the Planet of the Apes!
- Turned Against Their Masters: The ape takeover happens in this movie. Which Governor Breck fears.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future: Set in 1991, filmed in 1972.