open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Shiroe in Log Horizon is an enchanter and strategist sporting a white and gold high collared cloak.
- In Rurouni Kenshin, Seijuro Hiko, Kenshin's instructor (and one of the only people in the world with any knowledge of the Hiten Mitsurugi style of martial arts/swordsmanship) wears a coat with a high collar like this. (It's a Shout-Out to the below-mentioned Spawn.) The coat is weighted, so that he can keep up with the amount of muscle-training the Hiten Mitsurugi style normally requires. At one point, he even confers it on Kenshin, who ends up not taking it.
- Doctor Fate has high collars as part of his cape in some versions of his costume.
- Doctor Strange wears a blue robe with a high collar, and his red cloak has an even taller one that forms two 'horns' over his shoulders.
- Immortal Iron Fist, a Supernatural Martial Arts master, wore an extended collar until recently. Though the reasoning behind it was more due to the fashion of the times.
- Black Racer of New Gods sometimes has a high collar around his head as part of the black armor he always wears.
- Spawn's cape has a ridiculous collar for a sentient, hell-made cape.
Films — Animation
- Madame Suliman in Howl's Moving Castle is the chief sorcerer to the king, and to fit her high position she wears a fancy dress with a fur-trimmed high collar.
- Schmendrick in the film of The Last Unicorn wore a flared out collar on his cape◊.
- Maleficent of Sleeping Beauty wears a black robe with a high collar.
Films — Live-Action
- The wish-granting Zoltar machine in Big includes a bust of a bearded guy with a high collar.
- In the 1931 Dracula film, Bela Lugosi as Dracula sports a high-collared cape. And as in the book, his vampire abilities are supernatural, such as the ability to shapeshift and shroud people's minds.
- Mestema of The Dungeonmaster is an Evil Sorcerer who wears an extremely wide collar on his cloak.
- Jareth from Labyrinth has several powers, as he is the Goblin King, including many illusion powers.
- In King Kelson's Bride, Liam wears a "long, high-collared coat all of pure white wool save for the black Furstáni hart emblazoned on his breast" for his magical investiture as padishah (called the killijálay).
- When wearing formal attire, the Time Lords of Doctor Who sport an ornate cloak-and-high-collar combination.
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- Module T1 The Village of Hommlet. The costume of the magic-user Burne demonstrates this, as shown in this picture◊ of him and his friend Rufus.
- Module L1 The Secret of Bone Hill. The cover features a female mage wearing a red bodysuit with a high collar, as seen here◊. We know she's a mage because she's blasting another spellcaster with a Lightning Bolt spell, causing X-Ray Sparks.
- In Warhammer 40,000, the Chief Librarian of the Blood Angels, Mephiston, has a psychic hood built into his armour, and it resembles one of these. Given the Blood Angels' love of blood-related imagery, it also doubles as a reference to the Classical Movie Vampire archetype.
- In the framing scenes that open and close Wicked, Glinda's dress has a high collar that doesn't seem attached to her dress.
- A major stage adaptation of Dracula in the 1920s gave Dracula a cape with a high collar for purposes of the kind of stage-magic trickery mentioned in the trope description. The cape went on to become part of the popular image of Dracula by way of the 1931 film which used the stage version as its basis.
- Several of the Mesmer outfits in Guild Wars have high collars, some even just slightly flared out.
- The wizard classes in Ragnarok Online often include high collars, including◊ their fur-lined capes.
- A number of magic-using classes in World of Warcraft have armor sets including collars as high as the back of the character's head.
- In Rune Factory 4, Arthur wears a cape with a very large, high collar and is never seen without his star-shaped spellbook, though he speaks very little of magic. Kiel talks about magic quite often, but only has a small collar on his capelet.
- When City of Heroes released their Super Booster II: Magic costume pack, one of the new pieces was a high collar for capes.◊
- The witch cloak in Dark Souls has a popped up collar. Though any class can wear it, it was initially worn by a witch NPC.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, The Great and Powerful Trixie wears a cape with a flared collar. As she's more of a stage magician than a spellcaster like Twilight Sparkle is, this is an obvious attempt to invoke the look.
- Orpheus the magician in The Venture Bros., since he's an Expy of Doctor Strange and wears the same outfit.