open/close all folders
Films — Live-Action
- In Office Space, Peter, Michael, and Samir take their coffee in Chotchkie's. The over-enthusiastic waiter wants to know whether they want to try the pizza shooters, shrimp poppers or extreme fajitas.
- Waiting takes place in a restaurant called Shenanigans.note
- In Idiocracy, the Fuddruckers chain is still around in 2505, though its name has long since degenerated into a reference to anal sex.
- One scene in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby has Ricky dining at Applebee's with his parents and his two sons; Ricky's father gets thrown out after arguing with the waitress over the onions on his steak. The climax also features gratuitous, Played for Laughs Product Placement for Applebee's.
- It's briefly mentioned in Nanny Ogg's Cookbook that these exist on Discworld, with the theme being dwarfish culture. Real dwarfs hate the places, partly because of the kitschy stone-effect wallpaper and fake hammering noises, and partly because of the food, which consists of human dishes done up to resemble rat, and bread which is dense and crunchy but lacks the fundamental inedibility of proper dwarf bread. The Compleat Ankh-Morpork City Guide has an entry for a restaurant called Thank Gods It's Octedaynote , but does not include further details.
- In Christopher Moore's Pine Cove series there are several English themed restaurants in the small town of Pine Cove.
- The fourth Uglydolls "Ugly Guide" has a section on "Family Restaurants". Included are things such as treasure map place mats, old bikes, and huge ice teas with tiny straws and restaurant tokens.
Peaco: I know old bikes on a wall make ME hungry!Ox: Is that decor or was there an accident?Deer Ugly: My garage sale has come back to haunt me!
- One Mad TV sketch takes place at a J.J. Fuddermucker, a parody of Fuddruckers.
- The Ben Stiller Show features a sketch at TJ O'Pootertoot's, a family-friendly restaurant which hosts a deep, dark secret.
- MacLaren's Pub from How I Met Your Mother.
- In one episode, Barney and Ted meet two girls who claim to be true New Yorkers, but their idea of New York dining is a chain restaurant called "Taterskins".
- A sketch featuring The Birthday Boys featured a waiter who listed flavors of buffalo wings like "Mild, Spicy" and the third one he'd list would be an over-acted reaction rather (incredibly hot or tasty).
- One episode of The Chaser's War on Everything had Charles Firth visiting the Outback Steakhouse, an Australian-themed casual dining restaurant, and flipping out over how phony he found the place.
- Community: In "Comparative Religion", tough-guy bully Mike, waiting to fight with Jeff, tells his gang "Look, this dude don't show up, we're definitely going to Applebee's, right? 'Cause I'm getting into a fight no matter what!"
- McFriendly's, a restaurant that Zonker gets a job at in Doonesbury is a parody of these kinds of restaurants. "Every entree is guaranteed to be bigger than your head!"
- Cul de Sac: The Otterloop family often dines out at P.J. Piehole's. Petey had a fear of the rowboat hanging from the ceiling falling on him.
- In Sluggy Freelance, there's Zomblebee's, a zombie-themed version of this. With actual zombie employees.
- Sealab 2021 features the "Grizzlebee's" chain, which provides several intrusive bouts of Product Placement whenever it's featured in an episode.
- Hinted at (but never shown) in The Brak Show, with the nautically themed "Fish Pockets", where customers can get their picture taken with the mascot Gary Grouper. note
- The Simpsons episode "Bart Sells His Soul" features "Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag", featuring "all kinds'a crazy crap on the walls" and a Navy deep fryer that can "flash-fry a buffalo in 40 seconds."
Homer: Forty seconds? But I want it now!
Dr. Hibbert: Alright, where would you kids like to eat tonight?Young Son: The Spaghetti Laboratory!Young Daughter: Face-Stuffer's!Teenage Son: Professor V.J. Cornucopia's Fantastic Foodmagorium and Great American Steakery!
- Not to mention the various restaurants mentioned in passing from earlier in the episode:
- One SpongeBob SquarePants episode sees Mr. Krabs sell the Krusty Krab to a chain who makes it into "Krabby O'Mondays," complete with wall bric-a-brac and Friday's-style striped tables.
- In the Daria episode "Life in the Past Lane", Tom takes Daria out to "Phineas T. Firefly's", a restaurant clearly modeled after T.G.I. Friday's. The overly enthusiastic waitress is enough to get them to leave.
- Regular Show's Wing Kingdom is a very obvious pastiche of Buffalo Wild Wings and TGI Friday's, having the exterior design and food of the former and the interior style of the latter (complete with Tiffany lamps and mounted moose head).