As a Death Trope, all Spoilers will be unmarked ahead. Beware.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Fullmetal Alchemist has a big sunny sky during Hughes's funeral, but has Roy touchingly claiming it rained to excuse his tears. It's also a callback to Riza's observation that "You're useless when it's raining"; Person of Mass Destruction or not, he still couldn't save his best friend.
- It was allso sunny during Trisha's funeral.
- Occurs in Black Butler. It's a beautiful, sunny day without a drop of rain during Madam Red's funeral. When Ciel visits Mary Kelly's grave it's sunset, but probably because the funeral finished up not too long ago.
- In All Fall Down, both funerals are held on bright, sunny days.
- Spider-Man Trilogy:
- It's bright and sunny during Harry's funeral in the third film.
- At Norman Osborn's funeral. It's cold and autumnal, but it's sunny.
- The funeral in Jumpin' Jack Flash is also on a clear day.
- It was mostly sunny with only a few clouds at the funeral for Jonathan Kent in Superman.
- The weather is clear for the funeral of Ellie's father in Contact.
- It's very sunny and hot at Quatermain's Meaningful Funeral in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Justified, given the geographical climate.
- In Serenity the funeral scene for Mr. Universe, Wash, and Book is a sunny day.
- This is the case for Neto's funeral in The Elite Squad.
- The opening scene of the Israeli film Shiv'a.
- In Harry Potter, it was bright and sunny for the funeral of Albus Dumbledore.
- Meursault's maman in The Stranger is buried on not only a very sunny day, but a very hot one as well. This is actually an important plot point, and it is given a Call Back when he shoots the Arab at the end of part one.
- In the Doctor Who Expanded Universe novel Touched By An Angel, a character, sent back in time by a Weeping Angel, has the opportunity to revisit his wife's funeral. He's surprised that it's a sunny day, since he remembers it as being overcast to match his mood.
- In The Tiger Rising, it's sunny at both Rob's mother's, and the tiger's, funerals.
Live Action TV
- When the Friends gang goes to the gravesite services of Monica and Ross's grandmother, Phoebe instantly sticks her foot in her mouth by saying "It's such a great day!" Dark glances from the others. "Weatherwise!"
- It was a bright, sunny, hot Louisiana day that made you feel sorry for everyone wearing black for the funeral of Grandmother Stackhouse in True Blood.
- Kate Todd's funeral in NCIS is accompanied by a bright sun. Though the funeral itself is sad, on the way home, Abby plays some jazz in true New Orleans fashion. This is a part of Empathic Environment. It was constantly raining as the team hunted for her killer, and Gibbs blamed himself for her death. By the time of funeral, her killer is dead and Gibbs no longer blames himself.
- Anya's meltdown about the death of Joyce Summers on Buffy the Vampire Slayer is contrasted with the obviously beautiful day outside of her window. She was buried on a sunny and clear day. She died on one also: birds were chirping and children were heard playing.
- Scrubs had at least two funerals take place on sunny days. First was Ben, and then there was Laverne. In fact, to add to the contrast, J.D. sings "It's a Beautiful Morning" until he remembers he's at a funeral.
- Despite the variable weather on the island, every funeral on Lost has been under a clear, sunny sky.
- Haley's funeral in Criminal Minds, as well as Prentiss'. Although, Prentiss was only Faking the Dead for the last part of season six.
- Six Feet Under: Funerals almost invariably occur on beautiful, sunny days, since this is, after all, LA.
- Dexter: Rita's funeral is held on a sunny and hot day. She lived in Miami, Florida.
- The Arbitrator holds his mock-funeral on a sunny day.
- We don't actually see alt-Zoe's funeral in Sluggy Freelance, but the scenes we do see on the same day are bright and sunny. Makes the whole event even more bittersweet, since to the rest of the world it's a day of celebration because the Demons are gone.
- Ho's funeral in Tower of God, completing Baam's introduction to the concept of death.
- Played straight and inverted when Superman seemingly dies in the Justice League episode "Hereafter." Immediately after his "death" it starts raining like there's no tomorrow, but the funeral itself is held in clear weather.
- In the Galaxy Rangers episode "New Frontier," the sun is clear and bright over BETA Mountain at Eliza's Meaningful Funeral, but the clear weather also symbolizes a new day - the Series 5 team has been formed and proven themselves the new hope of the galaxy.
- In Recess, when the school has their funeral for Speedy, the class hamster, it's beautiful outside.
- The weather in the Smurf Village is nice during the funeral of Smurfette's pet mouse Squeaky in The Smurfs episode of the same name.