Episode - 3F12
First Aired - 2/11/1996
Bart accidentally reveals that Krusty the Klown has been hiding his earnings in an illegal offshore account, resulting in his hero's financial ruin (not in prison time because, unlike what happened in "Krusty Gets Busted"
, celebrities aren't sent to prison [at least not for tax fraud]) and apparent suicide.
- Bait and Switch:
Kent Brockman: "Ladies and gentlemen, Krusty the Klown!! - was arrested today for massive tax fraud."
- Call Back: When "Rory Bellows" was swimming from his boat to the shore, his face colors melted, revealing his "Krusty" face, which goes with the revelation on "Homer's Triple Bypass" that Krusty's "clown make-up" was not make-up (which had something to do with his heart condition), but contadicts "Krusty Gets Busted" and "Brush With Greatness," which reveal that Krusty's clown make-up is temporary and he doesn't wear it when he's off-camera.
- When Homer does taxes at IRS Burger, he asks Marge about her gambling losses, a reference to the season five episode "$pringfield (or 'How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling')," in which Marge became a gambling addict and apparently, no effort was made to cure her of her problem.
- Faking the Dead: Krusty faked his death to start a new life and later faked the death of his alter ego to collect insurance money.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: Krusty should be an entertainer just because Bart wants him to be, despite the many unhappy problems he had.
- Intimidating Revenue Service: They took 95 percent of Krusty's future earnings (it'd be 75 for the next 40 years but Krusty said he didn't plan to live that long) and took over his show and Krusty Burger (renamed IRS Burger and with a tax theme).
- Minor Crime Reveals Major Plot: Bart getting a check not signed by Krusty the Clown himself —> revelation of tax fraud.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Bart when he inadvertently gets Krusty arrested.
Bart: Krusty's my hero. How could I do this to him?
Lisa: I know it's sad Bart, but you shouldn't beat yourself up over it.
Bart: Yeah, the other kids will do that for me at school tomorrow.
- On One Condition: Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie had to spend a night in a haunted house in order to inherit $100 each. The lawyer said that condition was a standard clause.
- Riches to Rags: Krusty after the Feds caught him.
- Swiss Bank Account: The Cayman Islands version:
Cayman Islands guy: (on phone) I'm sorry, but I cannot divulge information about that customer's secret illegal account.
Oh, crap. I shouldn't have said he was a customer.
Oh, crap. I shouldn't have said it was a secret.
Oh, crap! I certainly shouldn't have said it was illegal.
It's too hot today.