open/close all folders
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- The 2nd Edition chronomancer spell Item Supercharger could increase the number of times a magic item could be used per day and the duration of the item's effect(s).
- In the Dragon magazine #56 article "Singing a New Tune", bards were given the class ability to increase the effects and duration of several magical musical instruments.
- In the Pokemon Trading Card Game, Magnezone has the effect "Double Brain" that lets the player use 2 Supporter cards per turn instead of the usual 1.
- In the Palladium Books franchise of Rifts, the second World Book of Atlantis introduced the option of attaching an Eye of Eyelor to any weapon. This added to the damage, gave it unlimited payload, and allowed to teleport on the command on the wielder. It was however prohibitively expensive, much more so than other uses of Eyelor eyes like implanting them on living beings or siphoning their power using staffs.
- Cave Story: The Machine Gun has limited ammo, but automatically replenishes itself. The Turbocharge item increases the rate at which this ammo replenishes.
- Some Castlevania games, like Harmony of Despair have an Ankh item that increase the effect of healing items when equipped.
- The Potion Medal in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword triples the duration of potions while it's in your inventory.
First Person Shooter
- Team Fortress 2:
- The Scout's Shortstop increases healing by 20% when deployed.
- The Backscratcher increases the amount of health gained from health kits by 50% for Pyros. However, other healing sources such as the Medic's mediguns, Engineer's dispenser, and the Payload cart heal the Pyro 75% slower.
- In Mann vs Machine mode, the Medic can upgrade any of his Mediguns to share Canteen abilities with their healing target. A later update allows him to increase the duration of certain Canteen abilities.
- BioShock has the plasmids Booze Hound and EVE Link, which add EVE regeneration with the use of health items (though you still get blurred vision from drinking too much). The Medical Expert and Extra Nutrition plasmids give more traditional boosts to the effects of health items.
Real Time Strategy
- League of Legends has this in the form of the Rabadon's and Wooglet's Deathcaps. They're a bit of a mix between this and Amplifier Artifact though, since they improve the ability power gained from any source: Be they items or the character's innate ability power.
- War Craft III hero units can carry items that improve the damage dealt by their weaponry, such as Orbs of Fire and Claws of Attack.
- The Thief class in Desktop Dungeons restores both health and mana with any kind of potions. The Monk class, meanwhile, enjoys increased restoration rate from health potions.
- In Paper Mario and its sequels, the Badges "Double Dip" and "Triple Dip" allow Mario to use 2 items or 3 items per turn, respectively.
- Goggles in Dubloon boost the effectiveness of battle items used by whoever equips them.
- In the Wild ARMs series, there is a recurring Force ability called "Mystic" usable by one character per game (one class in the Strategy RPG Spin-Off Wild ARMs XF) that allows them to use an item and have it affect the entire party. Some of the games also have a skill that can be equipped to any character that causes healing berries to restore twice as much health.
- In Wild ARMs 3, this ability also applies to attack items, and in that game enemies that are killed by elemental attacks drop an attack item of the element that killed them. So by using Mystic with Virginia, you can use attack items to create more attack items than you used and create your own infinite stock. Very helpful when exploiting weaknesses.
- A staple in the Final Fantasy series:
- The Scholar job in Final Fantasy III doubles the effectiveness of all items used including the magical attack items making them far more deadly then they initially appear.
- The Economical Ring in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years doubles the effectiveness of healing items used and is typically given to Edward to supplement his Item Caddy abilities to supplant a role usually had by a White Mage.
- In addition, Edward himself has the 'Salve' ability, which lets him split an item's effect into all party members (in the earlier versions) or use several items at once to all members (in later versions).
- The Chemist job in Final Fantasy V doubles the effect of HP and MP restoring items.
- The Alchemist dressphere of Final Fantasy X-2 can combine different items to create Awesome Yet Practical effects that you wouldn't normally obtain.
- The Item Lore Augments in Final Fantasy XII increase the effectiveness of items for each one purchased.
- One of the item combination effects in Final Fantasy XIII-2 is "Improved Potions", which increases the amount of health restored potions.
- Bravely Default has a few: Healing Lore, which doubles the effects of healing abilities (items and otherwise); Attack Item Amp, which multiplies the power of attack items by 1.5; Widen Area, which causes a single-target item to affect the entire party; and Item Critical, which gives items a 15% chance to be a critical hit (which doubles their effectiveness). In the last case, you can even use it alongside other abilities that affect how frequent or how powerful critical hits will be.
- Fallout 3:
- There is a perk that doubles the effects of books, which naturally increase stats by 1 point.
- An item called the Food Sanitizer increases the amount of health recovered by food items by 20%.
- Classic Fallout titles had perks that increased the skill points earned from books by a percentagenote , as well as increasing the effects (and addiction risk) of chems.
- In EarthBound, using the right condiment with the appropriate food increases the healing power of the latter.
- Urban Dead has the First Aid and Surgery skills that increase the amount of hit points restored from First Aid Kits by 5 each. The first skill is passive while the second one works only in powered hospital buildings.
- In Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana, Klein has a skill called Power Item, which can be used on a specific item to enhance its effect. He also has other skills called Wide Item and Pass Item, which increase item range, horizontally and vertically respectively.
- In the sequel, Atelier Iris 2, your last party member Viese also has both Power Item and Wide Item skills. Unlike Klein, though, she has item-unrelated healing skills as well.
- Dishonored: Certain bone charms give you more health and magic from taken elixir. Two skills obtainable can increase the amount of health and mana recovered from using potions.
Third Person Shooter
- Dead Space 3: Certain Support Attachments will increase ammo, health, or stasis for both Issac and John.
- Every item in the Disgaea series has a randomly generated dungeon inside of it—the more floors you clear, the stronger the item becomes.
- In the Civilization series, some of the Wonders that can be built will amplify the effects of any city improvements you've also built (such as the Sistine Chapel which doubles the effects of any cathedrals you've built), or amplify unit abilities (Magellan's Expedition increasing ship mobility).
- Joan McFadden in Odium heals 15% more damage when she uses healing items on someone.
- Fire Emblem Awakening: The Armsthrift Skill will not reduce a weapon's durability when activated.
Wide Open Sandbox