"So, ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking."
The intersection of the sets "Stupid things" and "Awesome things", which, surprisingly, are non-disjoint sets. A field mainly occupied by the obsessions of 8-year old boys, but one that can be surprisingly fertile for all that.
Examples should be confined to things that are acknowledged in-universe as being stupid or ridiculous, yet are treated as being awesome or cool despite or because of this.
Differs from So Bad, It's Good
and So Cool It's Awesome
by being the localized case; those apply to the whole show. See also Achievements in Ignorance
, a Sister Trope
: when the "impossible" is achieved due to not knowing it's impossible; frequently, cases of Cool but Stupid
are acknowledged as being stupid, but carry on regardless "just to see what will happen". Compare Awesome, but Impractical
Live Action Television
- Toby Keith said that he decided to record "Red Solo Cup" because it was both the stupidest and most awesome song he had ever heard.
- Flavor text from Dungeons & Dragons suggests that most of the gnomes' most brilliant inventions started with astoundingly dumb ideas. For instance, the Gnomish Magnetic Armor, which repels magical attacks, was originally intended to repel metal debris on workroom floors.
- SWAG.MOV's climactic battle between a Kaiju-sized Rainbow Dash and Discord. The Freeze-Frame Bonus in this scene reads, "THIS IS SO FUCKING RETARDED OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ANIMATING THIS".
- The Alt Text for this strip of The Adventures of Dr. McNinja (in which Doc focuses his energy to fight ghosts by humming the Ghostbusters theme) reads, "Very stupid ideas taken very seriously. Dr. McNinja."
- Sword-chucksnote in 8-Bit Theater. Every character except their inventor is fully aware of how completely idiotic this is, but they end up working perfectly.
- In a guest comic, Fighter even makes staff-chucks to cast spells with. They're considered even more ridiculous and turn out to spray destructive magic uncontrollably when used. Since he made them as a gift for Black Mage, it all works out.