The Forgotten Legion
is a trilogy of historical fiction novels about Rome by author Ben Kane. The main characters are a prostitute, an Etruscan soothsayer, and two gladiators who travel through the ancient world in search of freedom and a purpose. All four will determine the fate of Rome...
Tropes found in The Forgotten Legion:
- Badass: All four of the main characters. Even Fabiola, who is normally not involved with any of the action that the male protagonists face, still has quite an impressive body count at the end of the third book. Romulus kills a rhino with nothing but a spear.
- Beautiful Slave Girl: Velvinna and Fabiola
- Best Served Cold: The twins', particularly Fabiola's, quest of vengence towards their father and Gemellus to avenge their mother.
- Good Is Not Nice: Fabiola is prepared to do anything to accomplish her goals and is not regretful of it at all. Brennus too is loud, boisterous, and loves him some whores.
- Gladiator Games: Big time. Mostly because Romulus and Brennus are gladiators through much of the first book.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: This is played with in the character of Fabiola. While a nice strong girl normally, years of brothel work harden her throughout the books.
- Killed Off for Real: Fabiola, tragically.
- Nice Guy: Romulus is an eager soldier who cares for his comrades and genuinely wants to do the right thing. This comes into play in the third book when he saves a random prostitute from being raped. Said prostitute turns out to be Fabiola. Brutus, too, is seen as a nice guy by most of the protagonists.
- Rape as Drama: Oh boy. Definitely. Especially in the second book where Fabiola is almost raped by Scaevola and is almost raped again by her father, Julius Caesar.
- Street Urchin: Mattius and his sister.
- Taking the Bullet: Fabiola for Romulus.