A Star Wars Expanded Universe
novel by James Luceno, Labyrinth of Evil
is the story of how Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker almost
caught Darth Sidious in the months leading up to Revenge of the Sith
Despite failing to capture Nute Gunray on Cato Neimoidia, Obi-Wan and Anakin manage to recover crucial intelligence that may lead the Republic forces to their ever-elusive ultimate quarry: Darth Sidious. Following the trail across the galaxy, the two Jedi never quite manage
to catch up with the elusive Sith, but get a glimpse of just how extensive his machinations are before being recalled to Coruscant in order to rescue Palpatine from Grievous.
The book covers roughly the last few months before Episode III, and retells the story of the invasion of Coruscant, as featured in Star Wars: Clone Wars
, as well as providing a completely different explanation
of what Obi-Wan and Anakin were doing just before being recalled to Coruscant.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The harvester beetles working in the redoubt's fungus farm.
- Big Fancy Castle: Nute Gunray's fortress on Cato Neimoidia gives off this vibe.
- Continuity Nod: Plenty to stories from throughout the Clone Wars multimedia campaign. Justified given Labyrinth is a bridge between the campaign as a whole and the final Prequel.
- Deadpan Snarker: Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Foreshadowing: The commission for the Protection of the Republic's advisory that non-humans need not apply foreshadows the humanocentrism that will be central to Imperial policy.
- Intoxication Ensues: Obi-Wan drops his rebreather, and then encounters a crate full of intoxicating spores. As Anakin puts it, he appears to have invented a new form of lightsaber combat.
- It's Personal: Anakin's attitude to capturing Nute Gunray, due to the Trade Federation's attack on Naboo and the assassination attempts on Padme.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Gunray returning to Cato Neimoidia to recover his treasures before the Republic occupies the plabet. Not only does he nearly expose the Separatist fleet's location to the Republic, but his leaving the mechno-chair behind sets off the entire hunt for Sidious.
- Noodle Incident: Obi-Wan and Anakin keep track of the number of times that they've saved each other's lives. As of Obi-Wan saving Anakin from a cloud of poisonous gas, they're at 25 to 36, Obi-Wan to Anakin.
- Oh Crap: Gunray realizes that he left his mechno-chair, complete with records of his secret conversations with Grievous and Sidious, in Republic hands.
- Reflecting Laser /Pinball Projectile: A particular skill of Obi-Wan's, although with the slight variation that he's deflecting the blaster bolts with his lightsaber, rather than firing them himself.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Obi-Wan and Anakin