- This conversation:
Chance: I'll give him the old puppy-eyed look. (whimpering)
Chef: Sorry fella, it's not for dogs. (some meatballs fall off the table)
Chance: Flying meat! (eating the meatballs) Ahh! Hot! Hot!
- "He bit me with his butt!!!!!"
- Chance sniffing the fat chef's butt (including closeup).
"Must be someone new. I never forget a face."
- Chance chasing chickens:
Chance: Hallelujah, I've died and gone to Kentucky!
Chance: Hey, which ones of you are regular and which ones are extra crispy?
- He also chases a goose into a corner.
Chance: Hey hey, come on, I'm not gonna hurt you I just wanna chew on your neck.
- He later gets chased off by a turkey, unsure of what it is.
Chance: Whoa! What the?! (Runs away) Help! It's Birdzilla! I swear I'll never eat a McNugget again!
- While sleeping in the forest.
(Chance gets startled by the sound of wings flapping over them)
Shadow: (annoyed) Now what?
Chance: (voice shaking) There's something out there.
Sassy: (trying to scare Chance) Ooooooooooooohhhh!
Shadow: Enough, Sassy! Now sleep!
- At one point in the movie, the dog playing Chance charges face-first into a sapling at full throttle and then just keeps on running. This event was clearly accidental, but the sheer spontaneity and reality of it is what makes it so hilarious; it wouldn't have been nearly as funny if it had been planned in advance with a CG dog.
- And this gem:
Chance: Hey! Remember hot dogs?
Shadow: Yeah. Never much cared for the name though...
Chance: Well, I don't think they're really made out of dog...
Shadow: I don't think they're made of meat.
- While trying to escape a cougar:
Chance: I'm such a wimp! I'm running from a cat!
Shadow: I won't tell if you won't!
Chance: 'Course, this is no ordinary housecat. This is, like, Arnold Schwarzenkitty!
- This too:
Here, kitty kitty kitty kitty. Sassy: "Here kitty kitty kitty."
Not on your life, chubby. Guard:
Here kitty kittty. Here, kitty. SCAT!
Here, kitty kitty kitty. Sassy:
No, dummy dummy dummy dummy. Guard: [walking away]
Stupid cat! Sassy:
Hmmm! What a bozo.
- Chance's confession.
Chance: Okay, okay, I'll talk! I left a gift on the carpet. I let Sassy take the heat for when I unrolled the toilet paper all over the house. I stole underwear on three occasions! [the vet yanks a quill out of his face] Okay, okay, four, four!
- The entire 'fishing scene'
Chance: Woah, there's one! Oh, there's one! Woah, sit fish! Stay fish. Hey, Shadow, how'd you get one of those?
Chance:: Stay fish! Sassy, help me out here will you, I'm starving.
Sassy: (*taunting*) Say it first.
Chance:: Oh come on!
Chance: *Grudgingly* OK, cats rule and dogs drool!
Sassy: I can't hear you.
Chance: Cats rule and dogs drool, you happy!
- There are two funny moments in the ending, amidst all the tearjerking and heartwarming: first, when Sassy shows up, Hope scoops her up and begins hugging her with all her might.
Sassy: Hope, sweetheart—Sassy can't breathe.
- Then, after Chance gives his heartfelt speech about how he finally feels like he's home and they all go inside:
Chance: Turkey! Turkey turkey turkey!