(better known by the title Tiptoes
) is a 2003 drama film starring Matthew McConaughey
as the only normal sized person from a family of little people, Kate Beckinsale as his pregnant fiance who is unaware of this, and Gary Oldman
in what the trailer
refers to as "role of a life time"... as a dwarf
who is also supposed to be Matthew McConaughey's twin brother
This film provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: The subplot involving Rolfe and his on again off again girlfriend gets dropped and has no effect on the film. Similarly, Maurice and Lucy disappear during the final act without any real resolution.
- There are also hints that Steven may be having an affair with one of his students that appears briefly but this is never referred to again.
- Billing Displacement: The DVD box art lists Matthew McConaughey first with Gary Oldman getting And Starring while the opening credits are the reverse.
- Bittersweet Ending: Steven and Carol separate over his inability to cope with the fact that their son is a dwarf and she and the child stay as guests at Rolfe's cabin. However, in the end it seems that he's getting help and he parts with Carol and Rolfe on good terms. Also, Carol starts a new relationship with Rolfe.
- The Cameo: David Alan Grier as a fictional actor Jerry Robin Jr. who likes to have sex with midgets.
- Executive Meddling: Apparently the film was at one point a whole hour longer.
- Forced Perspective: Done poorly with Gary Oldman, frequently qualifies as Special Effects Failure. Compare and contrast with the Lord of the Rings the third of which was released the same year as this film.
- Hero of Another Story: The characters of Maurice and Lucy make more sense and are more entertaining when you imagine that they're the stars of a separate romantic comedy that only occasionally intersect with the film we're watching.
- Jerk Ass: Steven becomes this after their child is born and revealed to be a dwarf.