The Sorcerer and the White Snake is a 2011 Chinese film directed by Ching Siu-tung. It stars Jet Li, Eva Huang and Raymond Lam. It tells the story of demon-hunting monk Fahai (Li) as well as the demon White Snake's (Eva Huang) forbidden love affair with a human (Raymond Lam) based on the chinese Legend of the White Snake (among other names
This film contains examples of:
- Arc Words: "Amitabha"
- Amnesiac Lover: Xu Xian, after the ritual being performed on him was interrupted.
- Bittersweet Ending: The film's ending. Susu the white snake and her lover are presumably separated for a very long time. Even Green Snake leaves Nang Ren because she didn't want to suffer with love like her sister did.
- Demon Slaying: Fahai's and Nang Ren's job although sometimes they just capture them. The former wouldn't care whether it's a good or bad demon while the latter was turned into a demon against his will.
- Deus ex Machina: After Fahai was beaten up by Susu during the climax, a light from heaven granted him new powers represented by several luminescent hands. Also happened to Susu after saying the arc word. She was allowed to say her last goodbye to Xu Xian before being finally sealed in the Pagoda.
- Dark Action Girl: The female Bat Demons, the Fox Demons and the Ice Harpy.
- Elemental Powers: The two snake sisters demonstrated instances of Making a Splash (including whole tsumamis) and Dishing Out Dirt as part of their Ki Attacks.
- Femme Fatale: The Ice Harpy enchants men and if they ever try to leave her she kills them.
- Horny Devils: The Fox Demons try to seduce Fahai.
- Interspecies Romance: Susu the White Snake fell in love with Xu Xian, a human.
- Ki Attacks: The monks and the demons fight with these.
- Lady in Red: The Ice Harpy. The first enemy Fahai faces.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to Green Snake, the 1993 film based on the same legend starring Maggie Cheung. It had explicit sex scenes, darker themes and characters, and everyone (white snake, the scholar, Fahai's disciples, and many more people) but Fahai and the green snake dies in the end, with the former burdened with the guilt of all those deaths.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Very, very much.
- Metamorphosis: Nang Ren slowly changed into a bat demon after he was bitten by one.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: By all parties! [[Spoiler: Fahai thinks all demons are no good for humans so he tries to get rid of Susu. This causes Xu Xian to steal a herb to save her freeing demons who possess him. Fahai tries exorcising the demons from him, but is interrupted by Susu who thinks he is trying to keep them apart.]]
- Our Vampires Are Different: The bat demons that Fahai and Nang Ren fought.
- Scenery Porn
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The demons sealed in the Lei Feng Pagoda.
- Snake People: How Susu and Quingquing appear throuout most of the film when they are not humans, gaint snakes, or even bigger snakes.
- Star-Crossed Lovers
- Warrior Monk: Fahai.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human??: Fahai assumes all demons are either evil or dangerous for humans. They must either be imprisioned or destroyed. He acknowledges Susu is benevolent, yet still demands she either leave or be imprisoned. It is only after his monastery is flooded he considers he might have been too stubborn and by the end seems to accept demons can live alongside humans. To be fair to him though he does vanquish many demons who are causing harm to humans, but even the first one he defeats in the film is implied to be somewhat justified in her actions.
- Wire Fu
- Womb Level: Quingquing will not stop attacking even after one's been Swallowed Whole, so esophagus level would probably be more polite.