The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
is a 1958 film featuring Kerwin Mathews as Sinbad the Sailor
, but starring Ray Harryhausen
's stop-motion monsters.
This was the first feature film using stop-motion animation effects to be completely shot in color.
It was nominated for the 1959 Hugo Award
for Best Dramatic Presentation.
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad provides examples of:
- Bald of Evil: Sokurah the sorcerer.
- Benevolent Genie
- Birdcaged: The shrunken Princess Parisa is kept in a birdcage.
- Cyclops: There is a cyclops that looks like a giant one-eyed satyr with a horn on its head. A second one also in that film is easy to spot—it has two horns.
- Chekhov's Gun: The giant crossbow.
- Deflector Shields: "I command you to build me a barrier between those men and the cyclops!"
- Dem Bones: Sinbad fights an animated skeleton, prefiguring the army of animated skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Parisa is adorable.
- Eye Scream: The first cyclops is defeated when Sinbad shoves a fiery torch onto its eyeball, blinding it, and then leading it off a nearby cliff.
- Freeing The Genie: Near the end of the movie Sinbad throws the lamp into a river of lava, which frees the genie inside as was prophesied.
- Genie in a Bottle: Or lamp, rather.
- Giant Flyer: The roc.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: The magician shrinks Princess Parisa as part of his plan to get the magic lamp.
- Large Ham: Sokura: "My spirit races ahead of time itself!"
- Most of the pirates count as well: "THE WIND SCREAMS LIKE TEN-THOUSAND FIENDS!"
- Lost World: "It has the mark of some ancient civilization!"
- Monster Is a Mommy: The roc.
- Number Two: Haroufa, the only member of the original crew who sticks with Sinbad on the second voyage.
- Phony Psychic: Sokurah certainly is a real magician, but his prophecy is a bald-faced lie.
- Siege Engines: Near the end Sinbad's sailors use a giant ballista to kill a dragon.
- Snake People: The evil magician Sokurah temporarily combines a woman and a snake to create a four-armed woman with a snake's tail.
- Tragic Monster: Sokurah's dragon has apparently spent most of it's life chained up in his cavern home. For all it's time on screen it's abused, attacked, and later ordered around by it's master. Only for it to die moments after it's defeated the Cyclopes.