From 1937 to 1958 MGM produced 16 Andy Hardy films starring Mickey Rooney. Judy Garland
co-starred in 3 of the films.
This film series provides examples of:
- Betty and Veronica: Polly and Cynthia in Love Finds Andy Hardy.
- Breakout Character: Earlier films in the series focused on the entire Hardy family, but later films (starting with Love Finds Andy Hardy) in the series focused on the character of Andy Hardy.
- The Cast Showoff: Judy Garland gets 3 songs in Love Finds Andy Hardy.
- Dawson Casting: A 16-year-old Judy Garland plays a character who is twelve years old.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: The series format wasn't really nailed down until the fourth film, Love Finds Andy Hardy, so the first three have some unusual aspects in retrospect. Also, most of the recurring characters apart from Andy himself were recast for the second film.
- Easily Forgiven: Andy gets the car and the girl.
- Everytown, America: Andy's hometown, Carvel.
- First Girl Wins: Polly in Love Finds Andy Hardy.
- Grammar Nazi: Judge Hardy.
- Happily Married: Andy's parents.
- Hot for Teacher: Andy in Andy Gets Spring Fever.
- Large Ham: Andy.
- Non-Actor Vehicle: Swimmer Esther Williams started a screen career with a major supporting part in Andy Hardy's Double Life.
- Oblivious to Love: Andy to Betsy's crush on him.
- Oh Crap: In Love Finds Andy Hardy when Andy gets a telegram saying Polly will be able to make it to the party and when he found out his friend wouldn't be giving him the eight dollars. Again in Andy Gets Spring Fever when Andy realizes he has to perform in front of a large crowd.
- Open Minded Parent: Judge Hardy.
- Precocious Crush: Betsy on Andy.
- Andy on the drama teacher, Ms. Meredith in Andy Gets Spring Fever. He even asks her to marry him.
- Work Off The Debt: In the Warner Bros. classic short, Hollywood Steps Out, Andy gets into trouble, and as usual has to ask his dad for help. Since they can't pay the bill, Andy and dad end up washing dishes to the rhythm of the music being played by the band.
- Your Cheating Heart: Andy in Love Finds Andy Hardy.