Rise: Blood Hunter is a 2007 horror/neo-noir film directed by Sebastian Gutierrez. It is a Samuel Goldwyn Films release starring Lucy Liu and Michael Chiklis. Rise is a supernatural thriller in which a reporter (Liu) wakes up in a morgue to discover she is now a vampire. She vows revenge against the vampire cult responsible for her situation and hunts them down one by one. Chiklis plays "Rawlins," a haunted police detective whose daughter is victimized by the same group and seeks answers for her gruesome death.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
- Eve draws the line killing and raping people is fine by her, but there's a limit - no children, no babies.
- Sadie has this in a way she does question the hitchhicker before hand - no wife, no kids, no people depending on you? Alrighty good to eat... or being eaten anyway.
- Lesbian Vampire: Used repeatedly, including in the opening.
- Missing Reflection: The main character starts to realize that she has become a vampire when she wakes up in the morgue and goes to inspect herself in a mirror, which doesn't show her reflection.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: The word "vampire" is never uttered in the film to describe the cult of undead blood drinkers. That's why most people who saw the trailer thought it was about some sort of Pushing Daisies-esque zombie or something.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Vampires are almost indistinguishable from humans physically—they don't even have fangs, which makes feeding very messy. (They tend to slash throats with a blade if possible, but at one point Sadie [Liu's character] has to chew through a victim's skin.) Their biological functions are less than clear—one minion of a vampire tries to suffocate Sadie with a plastic bag, and seems to be succeeding. (Also you'd think he'd know better if it didn't work.) However, getting shot has little effect except pain, and Sadie survives a fall from a bridge into traffic, though she's beaten up very badly. Vampires have a powerful sense of smell, and seem to be a little stronger and faster than humans, but not very much so; they can't break handcuffs, and it takes several blows to break a locked door. They die from crossbow bolts (presumably wooden) to the heart except Sadie, who survives one.
- Vampire Bites Suck: The movie features vampires who don't have fangs, so they wear tiny blades around their necks just to tear huge gushing holes in the necks of their victims.
- Vampire Refugee: Though Sadie is very determined to get revenge for her unwilling (and unplanned) vampirisation on the bloodsuckers of L.A., she slips when it comes to feeding on a poor schlub offering her a lift.
- Waking Up at the Morgue: Sadie Blake, after being attacked and left for dead by a vampire, wakes up in a cold box and has to kick it open to get out. After hunting down and killing her attacker, she ends up dead again and the last shot is of her body being shelved into a cold box in the morgue. The very last shot is of her kicking open the box.