Film: Return to Sleepaway Camp
The Sleepaway Camp series got sudden revival in the late 2000s as the original director, Robert Hiltzik, decide to make more sequels, which ignore the three previous films.Return to Sleepaway Camp, which was released in 2008, follows yet another summer camp where people mysteriously start to turn up dead. Identity of the killer is kept as a mystery just as in the original film, but it still retains some comedic elements from previous films.Hiltzik has planned more continuation, with Sleepaway Camp Reunion being the next in line.
This film has the examples of:
- A Lighter Shade of Black: Almost everyone in this movie has damning marks against them. A lot of the older kids bully Allan in a cruel manner, and his step brother Michael skins his pet frogs alive to taunt him. Alan himself is a jackass who bullies the younger campers, almost as badly as he himself is bullied. And there's Angela, who is killing the bullies, in Alan's defense. Begs the question, who do we root for
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: During the big reveal, Angela, after revealing herself yet again has a moment of hysterical laughter before quickly looking directly at the camera before the cut to credits.
- Callback: There are several to the original, and even a few possible ones to the previous sequels.
- Canon Discontinuity: Return ignores the preceding sequels.
- Casting Gag: Isaac Hayes plays a chef with a distinctive red shirt and white apron.
- Catch Phrase: Alan's "Your ass stinks!"
- Dead Person Impersonation: Angela has done it to the sheriff.
- Eye Scream: T.C. gets speared in the eye and through the head.
- For the Evulz: Michael and Vinnie skin frogs because it's cool.
- Groin Attack: Randy gets his penis ripped off with fishing line and a jeep.
- Jerkass: Just about everyone, but especially our protagonist Alan.
- Kick the Frog: Immediately after Alan tells him that he considers the local frogs his friends, Michael boots one through the air. He and a friend later skin a bunch alive and dump them on Alan.
- Kill It with Fire: Weed and Stan get barbecued.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Weed and Pee-Pee.
- Punctuated Pounding: Micheal screams "NO! MORE! LIEEEEES!!!! as he beats Alan to near death at the end.
- Shout-Out: Randy, when Linda thinks someone is following them through the forest, cracks a joke about "the Cropsy maniac".
- The Stinger: It shows Angela killing the real sheriff, explaining how she got her disguise.
- Stopped Numbering Sequels: Due to the Canon Discontinuity.
- Stripperific: For some reason, Angela is wearing a pretty racy looking getup in the post-credits scene.
- Token Minority: There are two African-American girls, one dies and the other survives.