A 1992 film, directed by Kenneth Branagh
, about a group of friends who reunite after many years apart at a large country mansion, to celebrate New Years Eve and reminisce.
This film provides examples of:
- A Simple Plan: Peter invites his friends round so they can catch up and enjoy New Years Eve together. He probably didn't bank on relapsing alcoholism, two marriages breaking up, one getting back together, one relationship breaking up and musical numbers.
- Ambiguously Bisexual: Peter, but he's not really sure.
- Beautiful All Along: Maggie, as shown after Carol gives her a makeover.
- Bittersweet Ending: Though the parting shot is of the six friends, all together and laughing, what the viewer must remember is that this shot comes not too long after Andrew falling off the wagon after his marriage falls apart, Sarah's boyfriend going back to his wife and Peter admitting he's HIV positive.
- Book Ends: The film starts and ends with the six friends performing the 'Underground Song'.
- Bottle Film: Save one or two scenes at the beginning, the entire film takes place in Peter's mansion.
- Happily Married: Roger and Mary, after they manage to get past the trauma of one of their children dying
- Henpecked Husband: Roger, at the beginning of the film.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Sarah and, as it turns out, Maggie.
- Name and Name: Two of the actors in leading roles in this film? Fry and Laurie of course!
- No Export for You: It was an absurdly long time before this film got a DVD release in the States.
- Parental Substitute: Peter's housekeeper seems to be this to him.
- Relationship Upgrade: Roger and Mary ended up married after the gang left university.
- Sorry, I'm Gay: Peter's response to Maggie's cack-handed come-on.
- Trouble in Paradise: Sarah and Brian.
- True Companions: The six main characters have been friends since university and, as shown when they finally reunite, act as a surrogate family to one another.
- Upper-Class Twit: Peter, just a tiny bit.
- With Friends Like These...: With the way they talk to each other at times, you really do wonder how they've remained friends for so many years.