is a 2007 American psychological horror/thriller film about an affluent young Manhattan family and how they are torn apart by the increasingly sadistic behavior of their disturbed son, Joshua. The film was directed by George Ratliff and stars Sam Rockwell, Vera Farmiga
and Jacob Kogan. It was released on July 6, 2007 in the United States.
Joshua contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Uncle Ned, there's no mention of his sexuality but he has the stereotypical mannerisms.
- Some see Joshua as being this, even though he's only nine years old.
- The Bad Guy Wins
- Children Are Innocent: No, they're not!
- One of the taglines is even: 'Not all children are innocent'.
- Creepy Child: Joshua.
- Failed a Spot Check: The kid throws his grandmother down the stairs in a public place in broad daylight. Witnesses...
- Kick the Dog: Ambiguous; the dog is found dead.
- Kids Are Cruel: Joshua of course.
- Kudzu Plot: A fair few of the hints the film gives to explain things just raise further questions.
- Lackof Empathy: Joshua
- The Plan: All of Joshua's actions are to have him sent to live with his uncle.
- The Sociopath: Joshua.
- Shout-Out: Joshua throwing up at the start suggests the 'peeing on the rug' scene from The Exorcist.
- The inter-titles showing the span of time (each marked by a piano chord) suggest the passing of the days in The Shining.