Joshua is a 2007 American psychological horror/thriller film about an affluent young Manhattan family and how they are torn apart by the increasingly sadistic behavior of their disturbed son, Joshua. The film was directed by George Ratliff and stars Sam Rockwell, Vera Farmiga and Jacob Kogan. It was released on July 6, 2007 in the United States.
Joshua contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay:
- Uncle Ned, there's no mention of his sexuality but he has the stereotypical mannerisms.
- Some see Joshua as being this, even though he's only nine years old.
- Attention Harlot: Joshua. Wanting to be a baby again so you can get all of your parent's attention, faking an illness at a concert and pretending to faint while onstage in front of several people.
- Children Are Innocent: No, they're not!
- One of the taglines is even: 'Not all children are innocent'.
- Failed a Spot Check: The kid throws his grandmother down the stairs in a public place in broad daylight. Witnesses...
- Green-Eyed Monster: Heavily implied to be the motive behind Joshua's behavior early in the film. Everytime his family gives attention to his baby sister, he acts out. When his deeply religious aunt takes him to church for the first time and the Christians mention being born again, he takes it to mean a literal birth and states that he wants to be born again. (Presumably to gain the attention of his parents.)
- "I Am Becoming" Song: At the end Joshua and his uncle Write a song at the piano to celebrate becoming a family. The lyrics imply that Joshua is starting to be happy feels that his parents got their just desserts and will never be loved again. The movie ends with Joshua's Uncle giving him horrified stare. (Presumably having realized that it was all part of Joshua's plan.)
- Kick the Dog: Ambiguous; the dog is found dead.
- The Plan: All of Joshua's actions are to have him sent to live with his uncle.
- Voodoo Shark: A fair few of the hints the film gives to explain things just raise further questions.
- The baby cries all night because Joshua was messing with it then running away. We learn this because Joshua taped himself doing it. Why the hell did Joshua tape himself doing it?