Film: How To Make An American Quilt
Finn is a young graduate student, finishing a master's thesis, and preparing for marriage to her fiance Sam. But thoughts of the end of the free life, and a potential summer fling, intrude. She goes home to her grandmother, where, over the making of her wedding gift by a group of quilting-bee friends, laughter, bickering, love, and advice lead her toward a more open-eyed examination of her course.
This film contains the following tropes:
- Awful Wedded Life: While many of the marriages had issues, Sophia's was particularly bad. Her husband was always flitting off for work, leaving her all alone to raise their baby.
- The Atoner: Hy after she sleeps with Glady's husband.
- Cool Big Sis: Marianna is this for Finn.
- Happily Married: Constance and Howell are probably the only couple whose relationship wasn't screwed up. They were very happy together. Until he died, leaving her a widow.
- Jerkass Woobie: Sophia is bitter and has made Finn cry in the past, but the only reason she's like this is because of her bad marriage.
- Mistaken for Cheating: People think that Dean and Constance are sleeping together since they'd been spending time together after Howell died. While Dean offered, Constance said no.
- One True Love: Marianna believes that the man she met in Paris is her soul mate.
- Really Gets Around: Marianna has had many lovers.
- Straw Feminist: Finn, at one point.
- Your Cheating Heart: Dean.
- Hy also sleeps with Glady's husband.