Film: Exorcist II: The Heretic
Exorcist II: The Heretic is a 1977 supernatural horror film and the first sequel to The Exorcist.
This film provides examples of:
- Fake Shemp: A weird example - Linda Blair only accepted to return if she didn't have to go through the make-up again. Thus whenever possessed Regan appears, it's a stand-in.
- Genre Shift: It's difficult to say exactly what genre this film falls under, but it most definitely isn't horror.
- Hall of Mirrors: Dr. Tuskin's psychiatric institute appears to have been built with "put as many reflective surfaces as possible!" as its motto.
- Informed Ability: Regan's artistic talent, especially her laughably bad drawing of Father Lamont.
- Kill It with Fire: The fates of the possessed girl in the opening sequence and Sharon.
- Large Ham: Weirdly enough, Richard Burton underacts as aggressively as he overacts in some scenes.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Dr. Tuskin decides to try a mind-reading gizmo on Regan. It all goes downhill from there.
- Mind Screw: The whole friggin' movie.
- Missing Mom: Adding to Howard MacNeil being absent from Regan's life, now so is Chris, who Regan says is 'away all the time'.
- Ms. Fanservice: Linda Blair is quite hot in this movie.
- One-Woman Wail: 'Regan's Theme'.
- Psychic Powers: Regan has them. Other than that spoon-bending trick she fakes Sharon out with at the beginning of the picture.
- Re Cut: Shortly after its premiere, John Boorman went back to re-cut the film in response to poor audience reactions, hoping to salvage the film. It did not work, and the re-cut version has been long out of print.
- Scenery Porn: The sets and mattes are very amusing to look at.
- She Is All Grown Up: My, how little Regan has grown. Most of the movie has her in some form of revealing clothing. And then there's the tap dancing scene.
- The Swarm: Locusts are a recurring appearance.
- Title Drop: Kokumo says to Father Lamont 'You're a Heretic.'
- Written-In Absence: Ellen Burstyn didn't come back to reprise her role of Chris MacNeil, so they just say that she's away on work.