Exodus: Gods and Kings
is an Epic Film
based on The Bible
from director Ridley Scott
. It stars Christian Bale
as Moses, Joel Edgerton
as Pharaoh Ramses II, with John Turturro and Sigourney Weaver
as Ramses's parents Pharaoh Seti I and Queen Tuya, Aaron Paul
as Joshua, and Ben Kingsley
as Joshua's father Nun. It is produced by 20th Century Fox
and scheduled to be released in December 2014.
This is the latest Hollywood epic based on the Moses story in the Book of Exodus
, following The Ten Commandments
and the animated The Prince of Egypt
.The first trailer.
This film contains the following tropes:
- 3-D Movie: Scott's second, after Prometheus.
- Adaptational Badass: Moses seems to be getting this treatment, due to footage and publicity stills showing him leading armies and engaging in massive battles. This was very briefly touched on in The Ten Commandments as well.
- Adaptation Expansion: Like The Ten Commandments and The Prince of Egypt, the film identifies the unnamed Pharaoh of the Exodus as Ramses II. Like The Prince of Egypt, the film puts Moses and Ramses in a brotherly relationship before events drive them apart.
- Age Lift: Like The Prince of Egypt, Moses is substantially younger at the time of the Exodus than in the Book of Exodus, which says he was 80 years old when he first confronted the Pharaoh.
- Ancient Egypt: The setting.
- Ascended Extra: Ben Kingsley has said that Nun will play an important role as one of the leaders of the Exodus. In the Bible, he's just a name.
- Badass Beard: Moses sports one. It's Christian Bale's natural facial hair since he stipulated "no fake beards" in his contract.
- Bible Times: Naturally.
- Epic Film: To be expected, given the source material and director.
- Sword And Sandal: Moses fights in the Egyptian army as an officer.