is the first of an expected trilogy of films covering Ayn Rand
's book Atlas Shrugged
. It was released on April 15, 2011.Atlas Shrugged II
was shot with a completely new cast, and opened on October 12, 2012.
''Atlas Shrugged III is due out in July of 2014 thanks to a very successful Kickstarter campaign (one of the most successful at the time).
These films provide examples of:
- Big "NO!": Dagny, after seeing Wyatt's oil fields in flame beyond a sign reading, "I am leaving it as I found it. Take over. It's yours."
- Casting Gag: One of Dagny's enemies is played the actor who was both Quark, an alien whose "Hat" is greed and business prowess, and Andrew Ryan, a parody of Ayn Rand.
- The Cameo: Teller, Sean Hannity, Juan Williams, Bob Beckel, and Tamara Holder make brief appearances in Part II.
- Coincidental Broadcast: Subverted. Eddie calls Dagny and tells her to turn on the TV for a report on a train wreck, but the first channel she turns to is just giving the stock report.
- California Doubling: One of the great things about this movie's depiction of Wisconsin and its sequel's depiction of Woodstock, NY and Pittsburgh, PA is how they look NOTHING at all like Southern California.
- In Medias Res: Part II opens with Dagny chasing Quentin Daniels in her plane and then spends most of the remainder of the movie showing how things got there.
- The Mountains of Illinois: Or rather the lack of hills at Pittsburgh Municipal Airport in II.
- Schizo Tech: Set in 2016, trains reign supreme due to Galt's plan exacerbating the 2011 economic troubles, resulting in oil shortages.
- Sequel Hook: Invoked, as it's supposed to be a trilogy of films.
- Who Are You?: Midas Mulligan's last words before he vanishes.