A Fairly Odd Summer
is the third of the live action The Fairly Oddparents
movies released in 2014.
Timmy is now working in Fairy World as a disposal worker while Tootie works at a Research center. She soon informs him that she's been given the job of going to Hawaii to deliver a cure for spotted whales. Coincidentally enough, Timmy's parents are heading there for a company luau with Timmy's Dad delivering a check and Jorgen later heads there as well for a body building contest, leaving Timmy in charge of the Abra-Cadabrium, the source of all magic in the universe.
It seems Timmy's been left out of the fun until he finds out Tootie and his dad accidentally left their respective objects at home, necessitating a trip to Hawaii to go deliver them to save their jobs. However at the same time Foop, whose been scolded by the Anti-Fairy Council for his constant failures, is sent to destroy the Abra-Cadabrium. Running into Mr. Crocker who is in Hawaii for a seminar and convincing him to team up. Add in that Vicky is likewise there on nanny duty and it looks like Timmy's impromptu vacation could be spoiled before it even begins.
A Fairly Odd Summer has the following tropes
- All Just a Dream: The beginning has Timmy dreaming of racing across a jungle into a cave under a volcano to rescue his fairies from being sacrificed to volcano gods by Mr. Crocker.
- Aloha Hawaii: Where the movie mostly takes place.
- And the Adventure Continues: Not only do Cosmo, Wanda and Poof get to be Godparents to Marty and Mitzie, but Vicky is now their full-time babysitter, meaning that Vicky gets to be tormented by a whole new generation of Fairy Godkids!
- Babysitter from Hell: Vicky as per usual, though in this case, nanny to Marty and Mitzie. She refuses to let them do anything fun while she lounges around enjoying herself. You know it's bad when the siblings have to make an escape tunnel within their sand castle to get away from her.
- Big Bad: Foop this time around.
- Bittersweet Ending: While Timmy manages to save the Abra-Cadabrium and stop Foop, he had to be turned into a fairy to save him from falling into lava, meaning he can no longer keep Cosmo, Wanda, and Poof. However, they're reassigned as the fairy godparents of Marty and Mitzie, two kids Timmy and Tootie befriend and who were being looked over by Vicky, meaning Timmy and Tootie can still visit them.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Poof does this at the end by putting a Lei around the viewer and saying, "Aloha!"
- Contrived Coincidence: How pretty much all the cast end up heading to Hawaii.
- Creative Closing Credits: The end credits features Hilarious Outtakes with Cosmo, Wanda, Poof, and Fairy!Timmy flying across the screen.
- Creator Cameo: Butch Hartman appears as one of the crazy people in the DOPES seminar. He is the one who thinks he sees flying pink elephants trying to steal his money.
- Disney Death: Timmy falls into a pit of lava while trying to get the Abra-Cadabrium from Foop. He comes back as a fairy.
- Ear Ache: When Timmy tries to listen to a shell, the hermit crab inside pinches his ear.
- Emergency Transformation: The Abra-Cadabrium changes Timmy into a fairy after he falls into lava.
- Expy: In some extent, Marty and Mitzie, the two sibling who are victims of Vicky’s babysitting, might be inspired/based in Timmy's children seen in the ending of Channel Chasers, Tommy and Tammy.
- Fun with Acronyms: The name of the seminar Crocker is supposed to attend: Defective Obsessive People Enriching Selves.
- Gesundheit: When Timmy meets his parents in Hawaii, he greets them with the traditional Hawaiian greeting, "Mahalo". They clearly have no idea what he said and respond this way.
- Honor Before Reason: In the climax Foop decides to take hold of the Abra-Cadabrium and throw it in the lava himself despite knowing touching it himself will destroy him. When Crocker calls him on it, Foop states he doesn't care as long as he can destroy his enemies in the process.
- Indy Hat Roll: Timmy does this with his pink hat as he tries to escape the cave before the stone door closes- as part of his Indiana Jones-type dream.
- Interspecies Romance: Tootie and Fairy!Timmy at the end.
- MacGuffin: The Abra-Cadabrium
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Crocker disguises himself as a hula dancer and neither Timmy nor Tootie recognize him.
- Parental Neglect: You think Timmy's parents were bad? Marty and Mitzie's barely even acknowledge them, are worried more about their social standing then spending time with them (they pretty much jump ship on their vacation as soon as it's threaten), send the kids off on their own when they complain and of course, pick Vicky to look after them.
- Shout-Out: The opening sequence has Timmy dressed as Indiana Jones and is on an adventure similar to Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Happens to Crocker due to holding the Abra-Cadabrium.
- Unfortunate Names: Tootie's boss, Professor Butterfarts. Timmy snickers every time he hears it.
- Villain Team-Up: Crocker does one with Foop though obviously the latter's just using him.
- Wham Episode: The last few minutes of the movie are certainly a game changer.