Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being judged for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge
whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into homosexual
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
The Giant Daifuku
- Recommended by Solle
- Some of the best FFXII fic out there, some of it shippy, some of it gen. This author takes Alexander O. Smith's writing style and runs with it.
- Recommended by Draco234
- This author loves putting Balthier in crossover fics, and manages to make him stay in character in every scenario. A must-read for FF 12 fans.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
To Fight Beside You
- recommended by Licoriceallsorts
- Ellnyx writes a range of fanfiction for several Final Fantasies, but XII is her main fandom. Has a beautiful way with words - oblique, poetic and haunting. Read it for the pleasure of her style. Some yaoi, also het and gen
moments in another time
- Recommended by Mousewolf
- Pairings: Canon only
- Synopsis: "Penelo, if you do not stop hunching over your bow like so you are going to develop scoliosis." A series of oneshots and drabbles on what must have been going through each of our companion's heads as they fought beside each other to save the world.
- Comments: Drily well characterized and wonderfully witty, definitely my personal favourite fic from this fandom of all time, if only for the fact it features some of the most awesomely hilarious one-liners I have ever run into anywhere.
, by twigcollins
- Recommended by lunarkweh
- Pairings: None
- Synopsis: "Friendship, failure and triumph in the Archadian Empire." A prequel to the events of the game, told mostly through the eyes of Vayne and Cid, although it does include chapters focusing on Balthier and Penelo.
- Comments: This is what really humanized the trio of antagonists for me—while Vayne is still a cold bastard, Cid is still kind of teetering on the edge, and Venat is inscrutable as ever, here they're presented as sympathetic characters in their own right.
- Recommended by Desert Echo
- Synopsis: An AU retelling of FFXII set during the Great Depression. The New York based Archadia Industries has taken over the Chicago company R.A. Banastre, Inc. It's up to a deposed heiress, street rats, and bootleggers to save the day.
- Pairings: Balthier/Ashe
- Comments: Exactly What It Says on the Tin, this fic manages to take every character and plotthread from the original story and insert them into the 1900s nicely. There are some minor, necessary changes, but they're executed so well you barely noticed them. Sadly it's a Dead Fic, but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger and what's there is definitely worth a look.
" by "
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by DARTHYAN
- "Synopsis:" A novelization of FFXII, albeit one with creative liberties.
- "Comments:": Despite some rather unusual creative choices (changing Larsa's name to Lamont) there was a lot to love about this adaptation. Villains such as Vayne, Drace, and Emperor Gramis are fleshed out, and events that were only hinted at in the game are vastly expanded on. It also succeeds in giving Vayne an even more tragic backstory than he had in the original, and showing a far more human side. Overall, if you can handle a few small deviations it's worth a look.
In Our Allotted Time
- Recommended by Joie De Combat
- Pairings: Larsa/Penelo, Vaan/Penelo, and a faint whiff of Basch/Ashe.
- Synopsis: Larsa has always been very good at long-term planning. (Also known as 'the one where he promises her they can keep Vaan as a pet'.)
- Comments: This fic features a Larsa who has had a chance to grow into his talent for manipulating people and events to his liking, and he'd be a full-on Magnificent Bastard if only he wasn't so darned pleasant and agreeable about the whole thing. As it is, the results, and Penelo's down-to-earth exasperation with him, are comedy gold.
by Daemon Hunter
- Recommended by ArcVaranus
- Pairings: Ashe/Basch
- Synopsis: Sometimes a hated enemy can become a friend through the most unusual of circumstances. Set in-game
- Comments: A study of how Ashe and Basch's relationship shifts and develops over the course of the game, as they move from arm's length to finger's length. Possesses a wonderful sense of emotion and humour, really getting inside the character's heads brilliantly. Also worth a mention is another fic that takes place at the same time, Contract Law, a look at Penelo and how her relationship proceeds with Vaan.