Fanfic Recs: Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Proof that the remaining 10% are dreams worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into homosexual
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
A Clash of Heroes
- Recommended by Alexlayer.
- Focus: Strongly focused on Squall and Lightning so far.
- Warning: Heavy violence at times.
- With five stories, one of them ongoing and some of them connected, this writer shows an amazing work on portrayal and exploration of characters, plus a narration that can get brutally descriptive when it must to deliver impact into the reader.
Half of the Cosmos Warriors in a Hole?
- Recommended by OK'Ssuka?, Link Season Master
- Synopsis: Cosmos and Chaos fight a war eternal, but the face of the conflict will be forever changed when the Goddess of Order calls for aid from two proven warriors. Before Tidus, there was Auron… and before Cloud, there was Sephiroth. This is their story.
- Comments: This could be seen as a prequel fic to the events that occur in the main story of the game. Characterization is well done and shines within the dialogue between Auron and Sephiroth. Mechanics of the game itself are also given a rather interesting explanation, and the action is well illustrated and face-paced. This fan fiction is currently in progress.
- Seconded. The dialogue is well done and, as mentioned, very witty; it starts a bit slow, but builds very quickly. Definitely worth a read by any fan.
Visitors to Dissidia
- Recommended By: The Tambourine Man
- Synopsis: Half of the Cosmos Warriors get stuck in a hole. For lack of a better word, hilarity ensues.
- Comments: A little strange and very funny. Highlights include Warrior of Light's pet Behemoth and Terra's Onion Knight Sense.
Shine Like the Sun
- Recommended by DATEMAY
- Synopsis: Cosmos decides to reward her warriors by inviting those closest to them to come visit them in Dissidia. However, random chaos results involving Zidane's flirting, Shantotto's whacky spells, and the feud between Cloud and Terra.
- Comments: A delightful mix of hilarity and insanity.
by Wi REP
- Recommended By: Hobgoblin
- Synopsis: The other nine characters of the original Dissidia get to know Tidus on a personal level. Each chapter takes place from a different P.O.V.
- Comments: A well written piece that really shows off the characters that people have grown to love over the course of these several years.
by Red Sky Night
Jobs, Money, and Chaos
Mateus is Mr. Wonderful
- Recommended By: Forced Dj, Link Season Master
- Synopsis: After Chaos loses all of his money due to gambling, the warriors of Chaos have to help by getting a job. Not a lot of good things happen to them.
- Comments: Ceasefire is one of the worst things that happens to the Chaos warriors, but this is one funny crack fic/humor fic. Namely, it involves cars being destroyed for breaking a simple law, or running a red light, or their jobs ending in being fired. Also, the warriors of Cosmos are there, but they don't fight each other (ceasefire).
- Oh Lord, the crossovers... they're mostly minor, but they're still amusing. Here's a couple of them: "Tony Redgrave" is a regular at Jecht's bar. Ms. Hiyorimi is temporally being leased out to the warriors of Cosmos as a maid. Also, Garland has delivered mail to both Wilhelmina Carmel and Fate Averruncus.
- Recommended by The Magician Type 0
- Synopsis: A story set in the daily lives of the Dissidia cast, mainly featuring The Emperor and his cronies as they face the difficulty of their lives and causing chaos in general. Better than it sounds. The first Story Arc, the Base Saga, is complete, with the Puppeteer's Wheel Saga currently up and running.
- Comments: Simply hilarious, and the battle scenes, while shamelessly (and admitted by the author) ripping off similar scenes from Dragon Ball Z, don't fail to deliver, and you need only a basic knowledge of Dissidia battle mechanics to understand several of the terms used in the story. A good read, and you will get a laugh of the wacky story.
Allure of Honey
- Recommended by Lockea
- Synopsis: As the Warriors of Cosmos and the Warriors of Chaos come head to head, Kuja and Zidane dance around the lies they've been telling themselves, each other, and their allies.
- Comments: The story is told in first-person narrative, which can sometimes be confusing and disorienting, made worse by the fact that both Kuja and Zidane are unreliable, and will frequently lie to themselves and everyone around them. Part of what makes the story so good is the way this all builds up, leaving the reader wondering what it is they don't want to confront. Later on, the plot shifts from being about the secrets Kuja and Zidane are hiding to focusing instead on Cosmos and Chaos's secrets, and how it affects them. It soon turns into a massive crossover featuring Kingdom Hearts characters. The story is complete.
- Warning: While Silkscreen is rated T, it does deal with mature issues (and does so decently, if not well) such as body image issues, rape of the male on male kind, and character death.
- Recommended by Bellec
- Synopsis: Thanks to Bartz, Clouds has to dress in an outfit that he swore to never use again.
- Comments: Anyone remember the dress?
Shards of Memory
- Recommended By: Illumipel
- Synopsis: Two unlikely characters contemplate the nature of being a parent.
- Comments: An incredibly well written one-shot about Jecht and Cecil setting the war aside for a few hours and somehow bonding over, well, fatherhood and a beer. Both men are wonderfully in character and the story feels more like it's a deleted scene from the first game than a fan fic.
by Drake Clawfang. Now has its own page
- Recommended by OK'Ssuka?, Sonica
- Pairing(s): Cloud Strife and Terra Branford
- Synopsis: A man losing his most cherished memories to darkness. A woman struggling to control powers no other human has ever had. They stand together against two Warriors of Chaos who would see them kill each other. So begins the battle for the future.
- Comments: The characterization is nailed wonderfully, the interactions between the heroes and the villains provide excellent drama and (especially whenever Kefka is around) comedy, the exploration of the heroes' past lives in their respective games is done faithfully and adds to the story unfolding, and, in the opinion of this Troper, the pairing between Cloud Strife and Terra Branford feels natural, unforced in the context of this tale. The chapters are pretty dense, so be prepared to sink a fair amount of time into this great story. Currently, this fan fic is in progress.
- Sonica: Seconded wholeheartedly. This Troper knows Drake Clawfang from the Cloud x Aerith Forum, got the link from him when he mentioned this fic, and enjoyed it a lot since then. He did a wonderful job of writing the fanfiction, even while using subtitled videos and translated scripts early on before the game came out in English, although he mentioned his preference to using Crystelles instead of Manikins in the early chapters once the game's out (later chapters, however, haven't use them lately). He also managed to do a pretty good job justifying a lot of things, particularly Terra's character since FFVI. Expect a lot of Final Fantasy cameos!
by Doctor Burrito
The Door of Souls
- Recommended By: Ala Alba
- Synopsis: The story of a man called "The Scholar" who doesn't quite trust the Gods. He sets out to oppose them, and from there begins a chain of events related to the Endless Cycle, the battle between Cids, Mids, and the women who loved them.
- Comments: One of, if not the most mindscrew-tastic Dissidia fanfictions out there. The premise is very interesting: making Final Fantasy universes have one Heaven and Hell (similar to the Dept Heaven series), exploring the conflict between the struggle for power and the ideals of humanity and divinity, explaining why there are several terms or people with the same name along with its consequences, and practically mashed it together with Greek Mythology in mind. One thing for sure, this series has some messed up Gods, Cosmos included.
- The third in the series, The Chaos Report, is finished. Stay tuned for the exciting series finale!
- The author here apologizes for taking a detour. The Dreamer's Report is now finished, and the author would like to say that he thinks it's the best in the series so far!
- As a way of repenting of this, the author is proud to announce that the first few chapters of Sarah's Report are up! The conclusion to the series will take longer to finish, given the ongoing Dreamer's Report and Real Life, but at least we're on our way!
- Warning: These stories are extremely Mind Screw, so much so that it's not even funny (okay, so there is SOME humor). And with various Mythology Gags and Shout Outs from every single Final Fantasy and some of the other games' titles, the reader must have a pretty vast knowledge to understand some of the inner jokes and references. Especially jarring with the Cids, where they are referred to by their in-story nicknames. If a reader isn't paying attention to their description of their original world, their identity is pretty much lost.
The Dissidia Project
- Recommended By: starstuff99, becomethemoon
- Synopsis: Lost in the Rift, the warriors of 012 are on the run from gods old and new. As they stumble over delirious landscapes and desolate truths, the door of souls is their only chance to find home. But what will it cost to open? Post 012.
- Comments: Honestly one of the most beautifully written stories I have ever read. As the summary states, the warriors of 012 find themselves trapped and heavily injured in the Rift after they've closed it and search for a way out, all while running from some unseen forces, as well as their own forgotten memories. The sheer emotion in the descriptions is stunning, and despite this being an "angst-ridden adventure", as the author put it and which it is, everyone is perfectly in-character and even given some depth that wasn't seen in Duodecim. An absolutely amazing must-read.
Didn't You Get the Memo?
- Recommended by Shadic The Hedgehog
- Synopsis: A unique Machinima of Dissidia with a strange storyline. The Warriors of Cosmos (so far not including the 012 Warriors) start out mostly playing around, but when the Warriors of Chaos decide to send out clones to attack them, they band together to fight. With a few hilarious misadventures along the way.
- Comments: I don't have much to say that wasn't in my synopsis, other than it's really funny. They've cast people for the 012 characters, but so far only Gilgamesh has appeared, and he's only shown up in a Special. The camera work is pretty good, and the voices are mostly good, but the best part is how silly everything can get at any given moment (Favourite moments include the appearance of Garlandnote ). There is a plot, but it's not as memorable as their jokes.
Final Fantasy Still
- Recommended by Pink Hat Kid and Bwburke94
- Synopsis: A parody of the game written in the style of an epistolary, featuring memos sent back and forth between the characters.
- Comments: Although the fic itself is pretty long, all of the chapters are very short, and it makes for a very hilarious read. Seriously. The misunderstandings, references, innuendoes, and running gags are to die for. It's great if you're a Final Fantasy fan in need of a laugh.
by Still Thinking Films
- Recommended by Taxima
- Synopsis: "I don't know if this story is real. All I know, is that it's still, Final Fantasy."
- Comments: A wonderful Machinima that goes down the path of "what if Ultimecia's Time Compression was successful?". It's a three-way struggle in this new multiverse between the Witch and her followers, the newly founded Empire, and the Resistance trying to set things right. Voice acting, camra work, and especially the writing sets this above most machinima in the Dissidia pool. It's been on hiatus, no clue if it's a permanent one, but it's made it into season II.
Dissidia Viginti Unus 021 Final Fantasy
- Recommended by Taxima
- Synopsis: While Bartz and Zidane hunted for treasure, Onion Knight watched, his mind fixed on the duty of a knight and his heart fixed on the curiosity of a child.
- Comments: Heading back to Order's Sanctuary with their crystals, our favorite mime and thief decide to have some fun. Meanwhile, Onion Knight is trying to keep his promise to Terra, but he's still a kid, after all. Sound advice comes from an unlikely source in this little Breather Episode.
by Starlight AT
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
- Recomended by Void seeker
- Synopsis: If they can win this cycle, then they will most surely be able to go home. However, they cannot enter the world without "permission" and thus have to rely on certain people to "Summon" them. And sadly the Warriors of Cosmos aren't the only ones with Summoners, and the main rule for both sides has been set; If the Summoner dies, then the Warrior dies as well...
- Comments: A very well done fic. It's still in it's starting stages but is a amazing read. Does contain OC's in an original world, yet still has the spirit that makes Final Fantasy an amazing series.
- Now with a tv tropes page.
by Dance Macabre
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Sanokal, Link Season Master
- Synopsis: My Novelization of the Opening FMV to Dissidia: Final Fantasy. I was very excited about this, so please, read and review, Dissidia and Final Fantasy Fans!
- Comments: What it says on the tin; it's full of Description Porn, and expands significantly on the opening FMV, to the point that it's almost too expanded. Worth a read despite a few errors (Exdeath is called Ex-Death, and Golbez is stated to have a sword), and it's truly a pity that it's only the FMV.
- Recommended by Trollbez
- Pairing(s): Zidane/Terra/Prishe
- Warning: Sexual Content. Also, Prishe is a Hermaphrodite.
- Synopsis: Exhausted from the constant battles of the war, three warriors spend some quality time together at at moogle village.
- Comments: Pretty good for a shameless smut fic. The author does their best to keep them in character, and also adds a few funny scenes and references to other Final Fantasy games.
- Recommended by Alexlayer
- Pairing(s): Lightning/Squall/Cloud
- Synopsis: Collection of small drabbles focused around Lightning and Cloud fighting over Squall.
- Comments: As funny as it sounds ridiculous. It's short and totally worth checking out.
by Tam Is My Father
- Recommended by PinkHatKid
- Pairing(s): Cosmos/Warrior of Light
- Synopsis: Cosmos, tired of the Warrior of Light's failing to recieve her hints, engages the warriors into a drinking game.
- Comments: While Cosmos is somewhat out-of-character, it's a great fic that can be read for a good laugh.