Fan Fic: Young Offender
Young Offender is an Alternate Universe Fan Fic for Cyborg 009 which explores a world where the first generation of cyborgs successfully managed to escape from Black Ghost soon after their capture and conversion. As they spend the next several decades trying to evade recapture, Ivan, Jet, Francoise and Albert must also learn how to overcome their differences and work together in order to survive.Complicating matters further is that in this universe, Ivan was upgraded to a boy more like a fourteen-year old... something that has unexpected side-effects on his psychic powers. And he wasn't the only psychic in Black Ghost's ranks — his own mother supports them, and will do anything to get her baby back. And the organization's willing to learn from their mistakes, ensuring that the second generation won't turn on them so easily...
This Cyborg 009 Fan Fic contains examples of:
This Cyborg 009 Fan Fic contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: The Gamos. Jet also has a very strained relationship with his parents. After meeting them, Albert finds he understands him a lot better.
- Alternate Timeline
- Babies Make Everything Better: Inverted with G.B. and Sophie; though they try their hardest to make things work after discovering the pregancy, it puts a severe strain on their relationship, the cracks only growing worse as they discover Rose's illness and G.B. keeps putting off marrying Sophie until he's certain his career's stable enough to support them.
- Bi the Way: Jet, who only becomes aware of this after meeting Jean-Paul, and Albert.
- Black and Gray Morality: Yes, Black Ghost is obviously evil, but does that give the cyborgs the right to steal from them? Or from perfect strangers just so they can survive? Francoise isn't so sure, and the others aren't entirely sure how they feel about it, either.
- Break the Cutie: Aside from the main characters, there's poor little Ann Ember. Her mother's murdered, her father will be converted into 0011, and she's been raised by Black Ghost and the Gamos into a Tyke Bomb who believes the first generation cyborgs are to blame.
- Cassandra Truth: When Jet tells his mother where he's been over the past few years, she immediately snaps at him to "tell the truth for once in your life."
- Composite Character: All of the characters, as the author draws from various incarnations of Cyborg 009 and mixes them together.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: Zigzagged with Great Britain, as his reasons include trying to stablize his career so that he could support his family, becoming a drunkard out of depression over how this wasn't working, and finally making a deal with Black Ghost so that their surgeons could save Rose's life.
- Dark Magical Girl: Ann Ember.
- Deal with the Devil: In order to keep the second generation cyborgs from escaping like the first gen, Black Ghost and Von Bogoot draw 005, 006, 007 and 008 into these. Naturally, this means that even if they learn the truth about the organization, they won't be able to back out easily.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: Jet really dislikes being called Gianni.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The first group of assassins are none other than the future Cyborgs 0010 through 0013.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: One of Ivan's deepest fears is that his developing powers will eventually cause this.
- Green-Eyed Monster: A stressed-out Natalie reveals to Francoise how much she envied her. Enough that she effectively sold her out to Black Ghost in the first place, and betrays her after her return.
- Heel-Face Brainwashing: Faked as part of a Memory Gambit: Ivan erases Gilmore's memories of willingly helping them escape so that he can return to the organization as a Manchurian Agent. Gilmore is not particularly eager to follow the plan.
- I Owe You My Life: Chang was in the middle of hanging himself when Von Bogoot intervened.
- Ill Girl: Rose; curing her terminal illness is how Black Ghost lures in G.B.
- It's All About Me: When Jet tries to reconnect with his folks, they're more interested in complaining about how his disappearing inconvienced them.
- It's All My Fault: Jet starts into this after his parents' murder; Albert tries to convince him otherwise.
- Mama Bear: Erika Gamo, who combines this with My Beloved Smother.
- Meaningful Name: Ann Ember becomes the last remnant of her family.
- Meaningful Rename: When asked his name at one point, Ivan gives it as "Ivan Whiskey", dropping his parent's surname.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: Jet had a chance, but didn't realize that'd be the last time he saw his folks alive.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Ivan's psychic powers keep developing over the course of the story. However, this doesn't help his mental stability at all, as he worries about developing the same sort of powers as his insane aunt, and even the other cyborgs are unnerved by how quickly they're growing.
- Not So Different: One of the first assassins sent after the runaways points out that both sides are fighting for the sakes of their families.
- Patchwork Fic: While it draws most heavily from the original manga, Young Offender mixes and matches plenty of elements from other continuties. For instance, part of G.B.'s Backstory from the 2001 series is incorporated, with the further twist that Rose really is his daughter.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Ivan's body was upgraded so that he appears to be 14 years old. A second upgrade nearly killed him.
- Precocious Crush: Ivan develops one on Francoise.
- The Rival: Ann Ember becomes one to Ivan, as well as a Shadow Archetype showing what he could have become had his parents been able to raise him as they planned.
- Secret Project Refugee Family: It's a long and bumpy road to this for the first generation...
- Twin Telepathy: Castor and Pollux have this, which is why the Black Ghost finds them to be useful agents. After Ivan disables this, they're more useful as potential cyborg fodder.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Ivan struggles with this, to the point that he wants Gilmore to remove his ability to feel emotions entirely.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Katarina warns Ivan that he'll eventually develop the ability to see into the future, just like her. When that happens, she doesn't want him to drive himself mad trying to change it, as she did.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Happens to the first group of assassins, with a cruel, Black Ghost-style twist — they're going to be rebuilt into Cyborgs 0010 through 0013.