Fanfic / The Art Of Subconscious Illusion
The Art of Subconscious Illusion: Rewritten
is a Death Note
Fan Fiction Crossover by Fellow Troper Ruin Takada
The definitive, rewritten version of the fic can be found on the author's Live Journal page here
- Abusive Parent: The Invigilator, of all people.
- A God Am I: Light, for obvious reasons.
- All Men Are Perverts: House, usually on Cuddy (although he did briefly entertain dating a teenager).
- Appeal to Obscurity
- Blood from the Mouth
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- The Chosen One
- Crapsack World: Light's beliefs fall heavily into this category.
- Crazy Laugh
- Crossover: Between Death Note and House of all things... from the mind that brought you No Hoper, so this shouldn't be a shock.
- Cuckoo Nest: Light isn't Kira, he merely thinks he is.
- Darker and Edgier
- Dark Messiah
- Deadpan Snarker
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: House in his first confrontation with Light, the Kira-wannabe.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Sure, House has done many things that any other doctor would be struck off the register for, and so has Foreman to a lesser extent, but it doesn't actually warrant death by gravity-defied strangulation.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?
- Dr. Jerk
- Evil Laugh
- Flat "What."
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Light and Sayu. In that order.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Gratuitous Japanese: That is, as this is set in New Jersey, all the Japanese speech shown so far is presented in romaji (or Roman script) Japanese.
- Hospital Hottie: Cuddy.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Guilty as charged.
- Jack The Rip Off
- Last Name Basis
- Lean and Mean: Noted in narrative when first seen by House as A skinny young man with no outward indication of physical strength pinning a distinguished doctor twice his age, twice his width from the middle and several inches taller against the wall by the Pharmacy and more than three inches off the ground. Indeed.
- The Mentally Disturbed
- Mythology Gag: one of House's patients is sick from eating too many potato chips, but not much else (to Death Note). Also, it's never Lupus.
- No Sense Of Humour
- Not So Different: As underlined between House and Foreman.
- Psychological Horror: The entire story is built on this.
- Psychotic Smirk: Absolutely made by Light.
- Real Men Wear Pink: A man in the lift wearing a pink Nike cap.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Cuddy
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Rewrite: This fic has been rewritten a couple of time. Word of God says that this will be the final rewrite... apparently.
- Sarcasm Mode: House
- Scary Black Man: The Invigilator, who's very name was chosen due to Rule of Cool concerning wrestlers.
- Shout-Out: Most of the chapter titles (and the fic title) come from songs by Avenged Sevenfold. The only exceptions of the chapter titles revealed are chapters 10 and 17, which are after songs by Black Veil Brides.
- Shown Their Work: Evident from as early as chapter 2 and the TB episode.
- Slasher Smile
- Social Darwinist: On the bad doctors, it seems.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Light completely. Note that none of his dialogue as 'Kira' has any contractions.
- Superpowered Evil Side: This is how Light's "Kira" persona manifests.
- Take That!
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- This Is Unforgivable!
- Time Skip: The first chapter takes place in 'Mid-April 2006'. By the second chapter, it's already early September of the same year.
- Truth in Television: House refers to a 'Dr Wikipedia' giving parents differential diagnoses, which is rather apt considering that most people refer to this site for info on illnesses before their own doctors. Word of God can confirm that The Other Wiki has been invaluable (and responsible) for some of this fic.
- Villain Has a Point: We know Light kills/attempts to kill, and it's directed onto those with crimes on their permanent records. We'd call this evil, but when one would-be victim had actually beaten his infant son to death, you kind of have to hand it to him.