Fan Fic: The Prince Of Death
The Prince Of Death
by K. Kotone
is a Light-centric Continuation Fic
of Death Note
. Light becomes the Prince of the Shinigami
, and gains new allies and enemies
along with that title. He also gets to relive his mortal life with the knowledge of how it played out before...
But as a shinigami, Light has certain restrictions placed upon him… and L ends up with the leash.
(Naturally this fic contains whole series spoilers, so beware.)
The Prince of Death provides examples of:
- Apologetic Attacker: Roast.
- Arch-Enemy: Light and Lireal, Light and L in theory...
- Arson Murder And Life Saving: Light.
- Back from the Dead: The Shinigami King does this for Light allowing him to experience "a mortal lifetime" again but he doesn't do it out of the goodness of his heart. He does it because he fears Light and he wants him out of the Shinigami realm before he takes over so that he can be Killed Off for Real. (Eventually... by way of pathetic minions.)
- Badass: Light.
- Bishōnen: Becoming a shinigami has only made Light prettier.
- Bishonen Line: As a Shinigami Light is a beautiful Humanoid Abomination because he used the notebook so much as a human he became immune to the poisons of the Shinigami World that mutate the killed Death Note users into the monstrous creatures that the Shinigami are.
- Black and Gray Morality
- Blessed with Suck: Light thinks it would be more useful not to be able to see the lifespan of a Death Note holder. His other new powers also come with painful drawbacks.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: The Shinigami King. It has been foretold that one day a Prince will kill the Shinigami King and take his place so what does he do? He makes more of them.
- Boy Meets Ghoul: L and Light.
- Boys Love
- Bullying a Dragon: Lampshaded when Naomi hits Light and L fearfully thinks in his Internal Monologue that she might as well have struck The Grim Reaper in the face.
- Came Back Wrong: Light came back damaged though he hides it well.
- The Chew Toy: Malum Norio.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Light for L.
- Create Your Own Villain: Malum Norio.
- Dead All Along: Light.
- Dead Fic: (Noooooo!)
- Deadly Upgrade: Malum and Sato Akane.
- Deadpan Snarker: Lure.
- Death Activated Superpower: Light becoming a Shinigami.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Light
- Demoted to Extra: the Kira investigation team.
- Deal with the Devil
- Deus Angst Machina
- The Devil Is a Loser: The Shinigami King.
- Distressed Damsel: Misa and Rem.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Light sends a tape to Sakura TV directed at Malum which basically boils down to "STFU Noob and stop using my name."
- Domestic Abuser: Malum Norio
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Dreaming of Things to Come
- Emo Teen: ...but Light really does "know pain, death, and rot..."
- Empathic Weapon: the scythes and the Death Notes.
- Evil Counterpart: Lireal Akane is very similar to Light though he seems to be doing everything For the Evulz. Also Light and the Shinigami King (only the King is apparently stupider...)
- The Evil Prince: Light and Lireal.
- Evil Weapon: forged from the concepts of sins.
- Eviler Than Thou: Lireal Akane to the Shinigami King.
- Evil Versus Evil: Light/Kira versus Lireal Akane and the Shinigami King.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: Uh, Light? Should you really be telling L about your Kryptonite Factor?
- Faustian Rebellion: When the Shinigami King gives out powers it never seems to end well for him.
- The Fighting Narcissist: guess who...
- Forgets to Eat: Light. Justified, he is a Shinigami but since he's been "given a mortal lifetime" again he's really supposed to.
- Friendly Enemy: Light and L.
- Friendly Neighborhood Shinigami: Light, Lure, and Rem.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Malum Norio. Lireal too, only he seems to have already been a psychopath when the King approached him to give him God-like powers.
- Genre Shift: it goes from suspense to more of a fighting / action-adventure series. Think Death Note Meets Hellsing.
- The Grim Reaper: Light and the other Shinigami. (Our Ghosts Are Different and Our Demons Are Different)
- Harmless Villain: Light as Defrosting Ice Queen.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Light spends most of his time in this fic fighting against other shinigami.
- Hurting Hero: Light, not that he'll show it.
- I Have Many Names: And none:
L: What am I to call you?
Light: I don't care. Light, Kira, Prince, bastard …it doesn't matter to me. I have no name.
L: Don't have a name?
Light: Yes. It is my protection against Death Notes. I don't have a name though Avarice considers it Kira as do other Shinigami.
- I Have No Son: Souichiro upon learning that his son is Kira.
- I Was Just Passing Through: Light, all the freakin' time.
- Incredibly Obvious Tail
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Malum Norio.
- It's Personal: Matsuda has the nerve to try and use Light as a meat-shield after killing him the first time around... Damn right this sets off Light's Berserk Button...
- It's What I Do: As Light explains to Ryuuzaki-he's a Shinigami. He kills people.
- Kick the Dog: Light still kills the F.B.I. agents, though this time it's out of a need to feed.
- Kick the Morality Pet: After Lireal threatens Sayu, Light tells him to leave his family out of it... or he'll just have to write down "Sato Akane."
- The Kid with the Leash: L with Light.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Light is a bit bitter about the whole failing and dying thing. Naturally he still sees himself as a self-sacrificing martyr.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: both Light and Lieral.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: only a few higher-level Shinigami remember the first time around. Though Ryuk feels as if he knows Kira somehow...
- Like A Badass Out of Mu: Light. Something of a combination of types 2, 3, and 4.
- Living Weapon: The scythes Avarice and Wrath.
- Loyal Phlebotinum: the scythes, and the Death Notes to the Prince.
- Magical Boyfriend: Light to L.
- Mental Time Travel: When Light comes back to life, it's six years ago, he's 17 again and it's the day he would have gotten the notebook. He has somehow merged with his past self.
- Mental World: Light's dreams, functioning as both Bad Dreams and Happy Place.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Light whenever he gets hurt. "It's a flaw! RIIICHARR--" (wait wrong Evil Overlord.) Justified, because he is undead his wounds never heal and he has to be sewn back together.
- Monster Misogyny: Lireal
- Morality Pet: Sayu to Light and Sato to Lireal. Also Sato to Light-he's genuinely nice to her and there's also the implication that Light targeted the FBI agents again because Sato saw one following her and became frightened.
- Mr. Exposition: Barsh, also Light, because of THE BOND with L he finds himself telling all, and Lure.
- Mysterious Waif: Lure
- Noble Demon: Light. Killing the FBI agents is the only evil thing he does in this fic.
- Not Me This Time
- Not So Different: Both Light and Lireal are ruthless mass-murderers that care about their little sisters. The main difference is Light has standards and Lireal does not.
- The Obi-Wan: Barsh, Lure
- One-Winged Angel: Light...
- Orcus on His Throne: The Shinigami King. Light himself seems pretty content to just watch how things go this time around.
- Original Character: Barsh, Lure, Roast, Avarice, Wrath, Malum Norio, Sato and Lireal Akane.
- Out of Character: Light in this, though this can be (at least be in part) attributed to you know... dying. It's also stated that his new powers and the role he has been given are bound to make him
crazy.. crazier. They've certainly given him an ego boost (exactly what the A God Am I posterboy needed.)
- Parental Marriage Veto: 100% subverted "Do you know what we're discussing? That you've just given me permission to fuck your Prince?"
- Peggy Sue: Light.
- Plucky Girl: * gasp* a slasher fanfic which maturely depicts Misa in a favorable light? No way!
- Pride: in this fic it's why Light does anything...
- Pride Before a Fall: The Shinigami King
- Rule of Cool
- Rule of Funny
- Save the Villain: L unknowingly does so when he saves Light.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: Here's Light being more of a Jerk Ass than usual when L isn't paying enough attention to him, he regains L's attention by telling the room full of cops he's the original Kira knowing that there is absolutely nothing they can do about it:
Light: I was hoping for something a little more entertaining... But I'm bored. This is pointless! You've already caught the Kira that killed her dear boyfriend. Just tell her!
Ukita: A-Already caught? B-But L who-?
Ukita: Don't tell me its-
Naomi: (to Light) You killed him? (to L) Why is he alive? Why is he just-
Light: Direct your anger at me. I am the one you want dead.
Naomi aims a gun at him
L: Please put your gun down.
Naomi: Y-You killed him? You're really the one responsible?
Light: Yes. You should know that-
Naomi (tightening grip around the gun): Know what?
: Light. Please put her
- Serial Escalation: How much more awesome can we make this? How much more bishonen and arrogant can Light get? When will the characters actually break against the rising levels of angst?
- Shrinking Violet: Sato Akane
- Sinister Scythe: the scythes again, they are Impossibly Cool Weapons and Cosmic Keystones.
- Slash Fic
- Slave Collar
- Smug Snake: Malum Norio, the Shinigami King.
- Smug Super: Light.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil
- The Starscream: Lireal Akane
- Surrounded by Idiots: The Shinigami King, Light, and L feel this way.
- The Symbiote: again the scythes and their wielders.
- Taking You with Me: Malum knows he doesn’t have long to live but attempts to kill Light before he dies… it ends poorly for him.
- Thinking Out Loud: Methinks Light misses having Ryuk to monologue to—or is just lonely...
- Token Evil Teammate: Light to the Kira Taskforce.
- Took a Level in Badass: Light.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: everyone (except Misa who seems to have gotten smarter.)
- Trademark Favorite Food: Upon his resurrection Light gets bizarre cravings for jellybeans.
- Troubled, but Cute: Light.
- Tsundere: Light is type A around L.
- Warrior Prince: Light and Lireal.
- Woman in White: Lure.
- World Building: Expanding upon the powers and the people of the Shinigami Realm.
- X Meets Y: Death Note meets Hellsing
- Yandere: again Light with L he becomes insanely jealous when L is paying more attention to Naomi than to him, so in order to regain L's attention, he provokes a (cat)fight with Naomi by informing the room full of cops that he's the original Kira.
- Your Worst Nightmare: what the Notebook does to Malum since he's angered the Prince...