Fan Fic / Hammerhand
, and its sequel Angels of the Storm
, are a pair of Mass Effect
crossovers by Colonel-Mustard1990
. The premise is that a squad of Space Marines takes the place Shepard would normally hold in the games, and how their Absolute Xenophobe
outlook and experience in the Crapsack World
of 40K would stand up in a universe like Mass Effect
When their ship comes under attack by Orks, Captain Malleus Scandarum
and his command squad are flung through time and space after their Thunderhawk is hit by a Shokk Attack Gun. Coming out over a sparsely populated world, one with technology and aliens that the Marines have never encountered before, Malleus and his men try to adjust until the planet is attacked by the Collectors. The Space Marines fight off the aliens, drawing the attention of the Illusive Man...
These Fan Fics show examples of:
- Artificial Limbs: Tali loses a hand during the fight on the Collector ship, and Kullas builds her a synthetic one to replace it. Malleus and Miranda both gain bionics later, Malleus after having his arm severed by Gaius and Miranda getting a bionic eye after a Reaper soldier shoots out her real one.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Gaius is Indoctrinated by Harbinger during the attack on the Collector Base, forcing Malleus to kill him.
- Cool Old Guy: Kurias, the Space Marines' pilot. He is a frail old man, but put him in the seat of a Thunderhawk and he is beyond deadly.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Most of the fights between Malleus' squad and any mercenary band they come across. They do have a bit more trouble against Harbinger and his armies.
- Death by Adaptation: Shepard dies on Horizon, causing the Illusive Man to look to the Space Marines for help.
- Drop the Hammer: Malleus wields a Thunderhammer until a Brainwashed and Crazy Gaius breaks it during the attack on the Collector Base.
- Dying Declaration of Hate: Harbinger
- Five-Man Band: Among the Space Marines:
- Hero Killer: The Reapers' 'Assassination Engine' was designed for this very purpose.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Humongous Mecha: Yamazarat Machtoro, a Titan-Class walker buried beneath Rannoch by the Quarian's precursors.
- Interspecies Romance: Malleus and Samara hook up at the end of Angels of the Storm.
- In Your Nature to Destroy Yourselves
- Last of His Kind: Yamazarat Machtoro
- Like a Son to Me: Malleus towards Gaius, which makes the latters brainwashing all the more painful.
- Magic Knight: Cyralius, as a Librarian, has mastery over the Warp as well as all the perks of being a Space Marine. He gets even more powerful after becoming a biotic.
- Odd Friendship: Techpriest Kullas and Tali bond over their love of machines.
- Spider Tank: The Stalk Tanks deployed by the Reapers during their invasion of Earth.
- The Medic: Okeen.
- War Is Hell: It's a 40K fic, was there any doubt that this would be true?
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Angels of the Storm ends with one:
- The Batarians are suffering under heavy reparations for their part in the Reaper Wars.
- Wrex is the leader of the largest Krogan faction on Tuchanka, and Grunt is one of his top lieutenants.
- Garrus fell off the map, although it's implied he became Archangel.
- Miranda is the military governor of this universe's version of Cadia.
- Tali formed this universe's Mechanicus (with help from Yamzarat Machtoro and a few others).
- Jack disappeared, leaving Cyralius a message saying that she might go and do something similar to what Garrus was doing.
- Thane died peacefully in his sleep after hearing of the victory over the Reapers.
- Kurias retired and lives in a nice home provided by the Alliance. He flies light aircraft in his spare time.
- Apothecary Okeen fell off the grid and may be trying to recreate the Space Marines with help from Cerberus.
- Titus became a highly successful Spectre, albeit a highly noticeable one.
- Cyralius became a Cool Teacher at Grissom Academy.
- Malleus became the Citadel Council's Warmaster, and had a child with Samara.